cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries serviced

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the huge amount of heat we have had this spring and summer in the South, we have traveled very little since January. The rig stays plugged in to 30 amp with occasional short drives to keep the tires healthy. I figured it was time to take a look at at the house batteries. I had two gallons of distilled water waiting in the fridge where I kept it stored. There are 6 six volt batteries that are relatively easy to get to but hard to get water in unless you put it slowly with a small siphon hose (1/4 inch)
I found the same acid level in all the batteries at about the same height- close to the top of the plates. An hour and 2.25 gallons of water I am finished. I washed a small amount of corrosion off of a couple of connections. I am trying to find a coating that is a spray on, red in color, that we used on a previous coach. Never had any corrosion with that but I cannot remember the name. What do you guys use?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow
19 REPLIES 19

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Link to Autozone.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I am cheap. A large gob of Vaseline does the same. Looks ugly, but effective ! Corrosion is a chemical reaction with oxygen (air). Block the air and no corrosion !

Excessive corrosion around a battery post is often a sign that the gases in the battery are leaking past the seal between the post and the case. Typical on older batteries.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I use NOCO NCP-2 Battery Corrosion Preventative Spray, Part #A-202. It is red colored and works very well.

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I used the Permatex spray and it worked perfect. And I use the Deka bulb type battery filler. It has a flexible "snout" and it's easy to wiggle into tight spots and doesn't make a mess.

https://www.permatex.com/products/specialized-maintenance-repair/body-underhood/permatex-battery-protector-sealer-5-oz/

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/133851-deka-bulb-type-battery-filler.html
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Go to General Motors--they sell it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.