cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Charging

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel has a pair of 6 volt batteries and a 3 stage inverter/charger.
If I am boondocking and hook up a generator for and hour or so in the morning, would I be better off pluging in a battery charger to recharge the batteries or just let the 3 stage charger do its thing?
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
23 REPLIES 23

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the 3 stage charge is large enough and if it is working properly then pluggin it in for several hours is the best choice, From half full to full takes 4-6 hours Most of that is the last 10 percent.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
flyfishing48 wrote:
I'll provide more info.
I have a WFCO Ultra III Decmount Converter. I haven't looked at the converter yet so I don't know the exact model number....

We don't know the model number either.

First you said inverter/charger and now you are writing about a converter.

You also haven't told us what battery charger you are comparing with.

With the information you have provided there is no way anyone can answer your question. I'm sure you will get lots of guesses though.

Give the brand and model of the two charging devices and we can tell you which is likely to charge faster. That comparison is impossible without solid info.

Kind of like asking which is the faster car, a red one or a green one. :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
mbopp wrote:
Depends on the converter and the wiring between it and the batteries. If it's a WFCO converter you're better off with a separate charger. If you have a Progressive Dynamics or IOTA converter and heavy gauge wiring to the battery, go with the on-board converter.
X2

X3

Some three stage converters are fine, some not so good.

A good converter close to the battery with heavy wire will do a great job; good converter with too much or too small wire between it and the battery won't do a good job due to wiring losses. A good charger (which will be three stage) tied directly to the battery can do a great job.

You need to get 14.4 Volts at the battery at full charge current to do the job.

Doug

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
I'll provide more info.
I have a WFCO Ultra III Decmount Converter. I haven't looked at the converter yet so I don't know the exact model number. But the manual says that it's output is as follows:

Absorption Mode is 13.6Vdc
Bulk mode is 14.4Vdc
float Mode is 13.2 Vdc

i have no experience with this converter as yet. I will in a few months. My previous fifth wheel had the converter inside the distribution center. This one is a stand alone model and I haven't looked at it yet.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the Ic. Why would you want to use a charger instead?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the previous posters didn't read your post very well. The 3 stage charger you have built into the inverter will work better than any battery charger. Unless, it doesn't have much output. You didn't say. The bulk charge on mine is 130amps and brings my batteries up to 90% very quickly.

Sorry about my answer bashing others for not reading the op. Now the original poster says he has a converter instead of inverter/charger.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You need 40+ amps AND 14.4+ volts on the battery.
Try each and see what you get.

Or post model numbers for best answers.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Depends on the converter and the wiring between it and the batteries. If it's a WFCO converter you're better off with a separate charger. If you have a Progressive Dynamics or IOTA converter and heavy gauge wiring to the battery, go with the on-board converter.
X2

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......