cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Connections

KeithAS
Explorer
Explorer
I started opening up the rig today, trying to find a way to run DC power to a couple of places inside. I think I have a handle on a work around for that.

My question revolves around the batteries. The rig came with one, and the dealer installed another before I took delivery. The two are connected, positive to positive, and negative to negative, like I would have expected. However, the power to the rig was off of one battery, not from positive of battery 1 and negative from battery 2. Does it matter?

Now, a minor editorial rant. These batteries require periodic maintenance. The battery boxes and vent tubing require a good deal of effort to access, and one could plan to take about an hour to complete the job. On top of that, the boxes are in no way sealed, plus the vent tubing popped off as soon as I lifted the lid (fastened with what appeared to be electrical tape).
2010 Dodge 3500 SLT, 6.7 CTD, SRW, 4WD, SB, Auto
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
9 REPLIES 9

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mr Wizard,

Balance also makes a difference when charging. And if you are a generator charger then you want to shove in as many amps as you can.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
For the milliamps of the fridge control board, makes no difference
However for a three way fridge with 12v power operation, which requires over 20 amps, yeah that needs to be balanced

It is very odd for the fridge to be connected directly to the batteries
Fridge let should be coming from the 12v fuse panel aka power center
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
KeithAS wrote:
Thanks, I may go ahead switch the cables. Also tempted to build a single battery box for both.

Perhaps this will give you a better Understanding as to why its important to balance your battery pac.
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that this stuff is very addictive and it goes on and on and on. I dont know how involved it is to do the battery box rebuild but you may want to consider your possible future modifications like maybe more batteries or 6 volt batteries which are taller. Will you be boondocking and want more amp hours on hand.

KeithAS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I may go ahead switch the cables. Also tempted to build a single battery box for both.
2010 Dodge 3500 SLT, 6.7 CTD, SRW, 4WD, SB, Auto
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
KeithAS, my TT came wired just like yours. I never changed it and am still using the same two batteries for almost ten years. Didn't know it made any difference until reading similar threads a year or so ago and doing some research. :@

How much more could I have asked of these two original batteries no matter which way they were wired? :R

However, when my new TT arrives, I will be making sure the two batteries are wired the "preferred" method for proper balance.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
While what is there is safe it is also not optimal.

This is what is balanced and best for twin twelve volt batteries.

As it often doesn't cost a dime more to do this, I think it is worth the trouble.

If you wish to understand the "why" surf here:

correctly interconnecting multiple twelve volt batteries

Others may say it doesn't matter--but unless there is a compelling reason to not optimize charging and discharging why not do it the best possible way?

Here is a video of 3 twelve volt batteries that have been wired in an unbalanced manner for 2 years. They have been equalized. The test shows how CCA has been adversely affected.

unbalanced for 2 years
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Balance. Pos to one, neg to other. It wouldn't seem to matter but it does.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
KeithAS wrote:
However, the power to the rig was off of one battery, not from positive of battery 1 and negative from battery 2. Does it matter?
There are two schools of thought: Yes, and no. I lean toward the no but have no issue with the yesses.

To really see if it matters in your case, voltage measurements can be taken each week of each battery.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman