cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Isolator - Parasitic Current

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the typical battery isolator subject the vehicle battery to any parasitic current when they're in the "cut-out" mode (secondary battery disconnected)?
20 REPLIES 20

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
ISOLATOR covers a large territory. Which type do you have??
Havenโ€™t purchased one yet. This isolator (and many rebranded versions of it) appear to be very popular on Amazon.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two basic types of battery isolators and on one of them two control systems
Diode isolators have no control system bit it is possible they may present a tiny "leakage" current.. I doubt you'd be able to measure it it's that small.

Relay isolators when isolated it's 100 percent no leakage but the control system may have a voltage sensor that "draws again a very tiny amount a very very tiny amount.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some folks use a Trik-l-Start to maintain the Chassis battery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
otrfun wrote:
Does the typical battery isolator subject the vehicle battery to any parasitic current when they're in the "cut-out" mode (secondary battery disconnected)?

If the isolator is a relay, or solenoid, then no.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
ISOLATOR covers a large territory. Which type do you have??

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the ignition off, the isolator keeps all house loads from the starting battery. BUT the starting battery still has its own parasitic loads on it from the engine computer , dash clock etc.

Some put a small charger on the starting battery to maintain it while the RV is parked and isolator is "open", while the house batts are maintained by something else.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.