cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Storage Scenario

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
If I store new fully charged batteries in my shop for 6 mo through winter where the shop could be as cold as 10-15 degrees, would they be all right for next season? Or, should I use my harbor Freight battery maintainers to keep them up? They are cheap and there would be no one around to check them for the 6 months
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
17 REPLIES 17

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Switch shut off is the grand assumption

Until proven otherwise by testing not guesswork ๐Ÿ™‚

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Usually, but NOT always.

SweetLou wrote:
If you shut off the batteries at the switch, you shouldn't have to take off the negative cable right?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
If you shut off the batteries at the switch, you shouldn't have to take off the negative cable right?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
DEFINITIONS

A good brand of battery maintainer is like a seafood meal at Red Lobster

A Harbor Freight battery maintainer is like Dumpster Diving

BORG has been maintaining my 800 dollars Lifeline batteries for 8 years but 24/365

And I would trust the BORG less than a good battery maintainer which is 100% automatic.

But then some people would *** away a hundred bucks on utter nonsense then ***** because pay parking

Go Figure

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a cheap Harbor Freight maintainer short out on me. Maintained my two Trojan batteries down to zero volts and they froze and busted. Since no one will be checking for 6 months, I think the safest approach would be to charge them fully then not use a maintainer.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Motorhome in storage six winters in Anchorage along with toad, six 6v batteries and two 12 starting batteries. All charged fully and ground removed. Lowest temp was -24. No problems with any of them the next spring.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
Ensure they are fully charged and they will be fine through the winter. A discharged battery will have a much higher freezing point and could easily freeze in a cold winter and be destroyed. A fully charged battery is safe down to any temperature likely to be found in the lower 48 states
David Kojen

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
SweetLou wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
If I store new fully charged batteries in my shop for 6 mo through winter where the shop could be as cold as 10-15 degrees, would they be all right for next season? Or, should I use my harbor Freight battery maintainers to keep them up? They are cheap and there would be no one around to check them for the 6 months

Just curious, why would you buy new batteries in the fall if you are not going to use them all winter? Just wait and buy new batteries in the spring.

Needed replacing this past spring so virtually new

That makes more sense. ๐Ÿ™‚
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
SweetLou wrote:

Just curious, why would you buy new batteries in the fall if you are not going to use them all winter? Just wait and buy new batteries in the spring.

Needed replacing this past spring so virtually new
We love our Westie

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
Those $10 Harbor freight models will not charge a battery if it is under 9 volts.
------------------------------------------
Surely you can come up w/ a better reason than that for bad mouthing a 1 amp charger. Who would want to connect a 1 amp maintainer to a battery discharged to 9 volts anyway ?? Fer a 5 dollar bill I have found them to be quite reliable.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
SweetLou wrote:

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
If I were going to hook my $100+ battery to a charger/maintainer ..... it wouldn't be a $10 Harbor Freight version.

You can get several different brands of decent quality for around $30. I have this one I use on my motorcycle that cost $50 Charger/Maintainer

Those $10 Harbor freight models will not charge a battery if it is under 9 volts. The extra money for the one I linked will charge a battery from dead. It brought both of my batteries on my diesel truck back overnight when I killed them by leaving the switch on.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The 10-15 degrees would be a small, make that tiny, percentage of the total time. Although not mandatory a temperature compensated maintenance charger would pay for itself by extending battery life.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there a good reason not to use a trickle charger? Maybe I am missing something. I keep my batteries on one of those BatteryMinder Plus things -- supposedly, they pulse and keep the battery from sulphating. But I have also heard that this is a hoax and accomplishes nothing more than an ordinary trickle charger would do.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."