cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery wiring diagram

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer

I'm not an expert and don't claim to be one but looking at this picture makes me think something is very wrong here.
I would love the resident electrical experts opinions
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles
24 REPLIES 24

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:

I'm not an expert and don't claim to be one but looking at this picture makes me think something is very wrong here.
I would love the resident electrical experts opinions

By not reading any info just looking at the drawing/picture...
That's obviously a drawing depicting putting two 6 volt batteries in series to produce 12 volts But I just saw the mess up-- the second wire should be going to the house neg to neg and pos to pos connections....

Carry on ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhAX02V20Gk

Well another neat little trick to do , Turn out the lights , get it all dark in the kitchen etc (where the microwave is located) put an old CD in the Microwave and turn it on for 3 seconds , you'll get a nice little lightning show ...

Doh! is this the wrong site for this kind of information ๐Ÿ™‚ lol

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
To All,

Thank you all for your time and interest in this thread. Please see below for a correction to the illustration. We do apologize for any confusion with the article.

*****Quick Tips Illustration Correction*****

The cable marked 1+ and 2- in the illustration supporting the โ€œLabel
Linkingโ€ tip (December 2015 issue) should have a break in the middle.
This cable is used to connect to the motorhomeโ€™s 12-volt DC load. The
primary purpose of the illustration is to show the labeling sequence;
connecting cables in the way depicted in the illustration is incorrect
and dangerous.

Thank you,

Mark,
Good Sam Care Team

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The picture may depict two ways of connecting 6V batteries for a 12V system.

Then there were the two guys stealing copper from the substation. One thief got clumsy and they found him frying when the service crew responded to the outage.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
rjxj wrote:
I had too look twice to see if it was a trick. Depending on your goal that could be an excellent set up. First set up a video camera then get quality goggles and a hazmat suit with kevlar. If they get past the molten lead and blinding blue arc as the last connection is made and it did happen to weld in place the ensuing melt down would will make excellent you tube material.

The best I have witnessed was 48 volt 4800 pound fork truck battery 4/0 cables shorting. It's like creating a blue sun and molten copper and lead is blasting out. It's wicked. There are ungodly amps when shorted and they aint taken no for an answer. Something has to give.

I would hate to be the guy that had to make the last cable connection :S

Best melt down I have witnessed was at 2AM when a 220KV Line Disconnect started disintegrating.
Worn spot on end, salt air, started tracking then started arching.
Small bright spot that grew into a very large green eye blinding arch that didn't stop until 15' of cooper disconnect had been consumed.

Gravel underneath was fused together with large pool of melted cooper
Very impressive on a moonless night.
Made for a very busy end of shift with 2 Unit trip---next 5 hrs flew by :B

Wow, that puts me back in Junior territory. ๐Ÿ™‚

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If any of you subscribe to motorhome magazine, check out the December 2015 issue Page 68 to see the actual photo and accompanying article!
I don't, and don't see it available online.

As hard as it is for me to believe this is something they would actually publish, I would send them an email or CAll them asap. Somebody's gonna get seriously injured.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. IF that picture is REAL, there is NO WAY the batteries had any charge in them
2. IF the batteries had any charge in them, the SPLIT second you connected the LONG cable to either the Neg or Pos post, you would have had a LARGE arc/spark and I doubt you could have proceeded to install the nut on the loose end as the HEAT build up would have burned you way before they caught on fire and melted the Posts and the cases of the batteries. Doug

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The most exciting meltdown actually it didn't really melt it welded for a fraction of a second when some non-qual trying to earn his Dolphins disconnected a switch carrying 1500 amps. Resulting ball lightning burned a hole about the size of a softball through the SS cage around the main propulsion motor controls. Finally dissipated through 1" cork insulation to the hull.

Very scary.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, the first interconnect wire puts them in series.

The second one is the one that turns it into an arc welding experiment.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Guess I have gone brain dead. Nope, I did go brain dead. Looked like two 6 volters in series. I have experienced batteries exploding. Not fun.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I loaned a new 1/2" Snap-On combination wrench to a knothead boat owner. He shorted it from 32 volts positive to a 5/16" hull. Within 2 seconds it went from regular color to bright orange, then melted a coffee cup saucer size hole in the hull. He refused to recompense me for the loss of the wrench. I pulled my tools off the v\boat and left him no wiring schematics, diagrams alternators or coltage regulators which he had not paid for anyway. BE CAREFUL AROUND BATTERIES. THEY EXACT PAYBACK.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done 'welding' when hooking up batteries. It takes a split-second to destroy a battery post bolt. I can only imagine the firestorm that OP hookup would do.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If any of you subscribe to motorhome magazine, check out the December 2015 issue Page 68 to see the actual photo and accompanying article!

Amazing! I thought Motorhome Mag was better than that. I wonder if anyone read that and tried to duplicate it.:h
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I do wonder what the outcome of that would be- would the batteries or cable melt first? That's kind of unstoppable force against immovable object.

Real Experience 101

A portion of the lid blows off when a cell explodes. One or both batteries. Sounds like a loud POP.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles