cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery woes....

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
So my battery is dead again. Unplugged to the shore power to see if the battery was ok after the winter and within and hour and a half it was down to 1/3. I've always been getting the EverStart RV/marine batteries from walmart. I haven't checked the water level in them yet either. (I don't think that would matter at this point) Its the 29 size.

What type/brand would you recommend I try this time?
2009 Kodiak 195. Absolute JUNK.
28 REPLIES 28

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
I actually want to be able to use the battery more. I want to start dry camping more. I have considered getting at least 2 29 size. Pretty much just for the heater, fridge ignitor etc. I use those battery powered lights with the remote switch for lights when boondocking since the regular lights would drain the battery in no time....

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
kamperdog wrote:
I just checked the fluid level in them and its right at the top. I admit, I haven't done any maintenance on the battery. I didn't realize you couldn't leave it hooked up with the shore power on. I figured that would keep it charged. Live and learn.

Sounds like no water usage and you are plugged in continuous.
This is actually good for the battery and it should last a long time.

Do you ever let the battery discharge during use or storage? If you are not really using the battery then you may as well get a smaller lower cost group 24.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A flooded battery that has been fully charged will go 3-4 months in cool climes without ill effect. The colder it gets the less self-discharge. The 4 Kyocera panels keep the four L-16's happy in Quicksilver. But I have the voltage dialed back to 13.2 on the Trace C-60. Voltage gets checked at least once a week. The 80F average temperature* forces me to maintain a float.

*Averaged day and night

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Either disconnect the battery in storage or make Wal-Mart a happy store.

To dumb it down - disconnect from loads. Not from converter - as long as converter is not WFCO.

If you get AGM, disconnect it from everything and put it in some non-freezing place. Put it in your home closet you like, they don't leak any fumes. AGM can stay without maintenance charging for 6-10 months.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If that battery was found to be low on water, it would be one thing...

But it wasn't - so

Bite your tongue if you try and say "Battery Destroyed By Boiling Dry"

Either disconnect the battery in storage or make Wal-Mart a happy store.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
kamperdog wrote:
I just checked the fluid level in them and its right at the top. I admit, I haven't done any maintenance on the battery. I didn't realize you couldn't leave it hooked up with the shore power on. I figured that would keep it charged. Live and learn.

Proper fluid level is 1/8 to 1/4 inch below the bottom of the filler tube (Small air gap)

I leave mine plugged in full time, but I have a Progressive Dynamics 9180 WITH optional wizard, there is no better charger. I need to water them perhaps once a year when new.

SOME converters are well known battery killers.

So it depends on the converter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
You can lead a horse to water.... but the battery will drink it instead.

Batteries are like your big johnson. If you leave them hooked up, they get drained.

Don't hook up, and they won't get drained empty with no charge left.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
kamperdog wrote:

I'm one of those non battery maintainers a slacker and under achiever by nature. Never washed and waxed a battery in my life.

The bulk of converter chargers in RV's are junk and will destroy batteries, way too fast.

Google batteries don't die they are murdered.

I have an original WFCO panel but have added a Progressive Dynamics PD9145 with Charge Wizard, time will tell.
Jim

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Power Pedestal Princesses. LOL. I like that.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ever change a converter. The only thing worse than doing one is paying for someone else to do it. The rig needs a battery cutout switch no matter what.

Battery minder-tender connected to the battery should keep it perfect.

Power Pedestal Princesses do not need a $250 converter.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
kamperdog wrote:
I didn't realize you couldn't leave it hooked up with the shore power on. I figured that would keep it charged.

Ideally, a converter should do the job, but many models don't. Maybe a better converter would keep it charged. Or maybe you killed the battery during last summer already - using same poor converter or other inadequate method.

I hear all the time that there are better converters somewhere :), didn't have a chance to check since charging is done by solar, don't use my converter.

-Oz-
Explorer
Explorer
In most it isn't actually supposed to be at the very top. There is an optimal place for the water level (on my 6V its at the top of the "notch" in the well).
Dan
RV: 2013 Shadow Cruiser S185 FBR
My ~200W Portable and Fixed Solar System

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer