cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best $100 converter.

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
I need a new converter and only have about $100 left in the budget. Because of size limitations I only have a 1 battery system. Group 29 115 Amp hr. I have 10 LED lights, Maxx Fan Deluxe, range vent hood, Dometic 110v/gas fridge, furnace and new Shurflo water pump. I have no AC appliances because we seldom camp where there is electricity. I use a 2000w generator to recharge the battery. My dead converter was a B-W 6325. The trailer is a 1987 Serro Scotty I am rebuilding. So far the 3 converters/power center I have found around $100 are the Boondocker Powermax PM3-35, WFCO 9835, and the WFCO 8735 Powercenter. Any input on which of these is good or any others I have missed?
8 REPLIES 8

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the PM3-35 because it seemed like the best deal for a little less than $100. Time will tell if it was a good choice.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mmmmmmmm....

Makes sense. Spend a ton of money on a 12-stage converter that doesn't charge well even on the primary stage, and will never see anything but that 1st stage. If the RV saw time connected to a power pedestal that's different. But for battery charging, use a battery charger. The OP says he has a hundred bucks to spare. Care to offer more suggestions for a POS converter that would never work right........?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
The PowerMax converters are knowm to have a high failure rate. Can't believe anyone would save a few bucks over the tried and true and excellent rated PDs.
It seems that after the Wfco fiasco, people would learn.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
WFCO in general is well known to get stuck in 13.6 volt normal mode vs the "3 stage" charging they claim.
PM-35 seems to actually work as expected.

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
I checked Craigslist and nothing there. I would say converter because they are usually listed as deck mounter converter or power center/w converter. Why the PM-35 vs WF 9835?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Look on Craigs list for a more capable converter?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
First Order:

Converter

Or

Battery Charger