cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best motor oil for MB Sprinter diesel engine

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I recently purchased a MB Sprinter-based moho with the diesel engine and would like to know from those of you that own one if you prefer a particular brand of motor oil and a particular viscosity. Most of my driving will be done in mild to hot weather.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
30 REPLIES 30

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I called the closest MB dealer near me and spoke with the Sprinter service writer. He recommended Mobil 1 5W-30 oil. He said they use 5W-30 viscosity.

The Owner's Manual says to use oil meeting the following specs:

The manual recommends using oil that meets 228.51 specs when changing oil at the MB recommended intervals.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:
I buy the BEST diesel oil for my rig I can find and change it every 5000 miles without fail.

Many will disagree but it's my motor and my $$$.

OK, how do you determine which is the BEST? :h

I use oil analysis from Blackstone Labs. I also learned that all of the oil I use is way better than I imagined, and that even after 14,227 miles, it didn't need to be changed.

I use Blackstone Labs for every internal combustion engine I own, other than the lawnmowers. I use them for transmission fluid too.

Lets see, the would be a diesel pickup, 2 gas powered cars, one Suburban and 3 diesel farm tractors, and yes the TBN's show that I can go much longer between changes than I actually do but oil is fairly cheap (I use Rotella 5-40 T6 in everything but then lawnmowers, they get 15-40 Rotella. I buy my T6 in 55 gallon drums delivered and the used oil goes in the empty drum that my oil supplier picks up when I get a fresh drum delivered.

TBN on my last one was 7.8 after 14,227 miles. I'm not even going to pay the $10 anymore to test it.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III

It's incredibly rare for modern engines to die due to oil issues (obviously not leaks or obvious abuse). Any oil that meets manufacturers spec is perfectly fine and you can expect the engine to last longer than the rig.
The engine dying isn't the issue. Using incorrect oil results in clogging of the DPF, which costs a thousand or two to replace.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I use Rotella in my Cummins diesel and change it often.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:
I buy the BEST diesel oil for my rig I can find and change it every 5000 miles without fail.

I use oil analysis from Blackstone Labs. I also learned that all of the oil I use is way better than I imagined, and that even after 14,227 miles, it didn't need to be changed.

I use Blackstone Labs for every internal combustion engine I own, other than the lawnmowers. I use them for transmission fluid too.

Lets see, the would be a diesel pickup, 2 gas powered cars, one Suburban and 3 diesel farm tractors, and yes the TBN's show that I can go much longer between changes than I actually do but oil is fairly cheap (I use Rotella 5-40 T6 in everything but then lawnmowers, they get 15-40 Rotella. I buy my T6 in 55 gallon drums delivered and the used oil goes in the empty drum that my oil supplier picks up when I get a fresh drum delivered.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:

YOUR WALLET
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
loggenrock wrote:
Mother Benz is VERY particular as to oil used...

Buy the CHEAPEST oil that meets the spec. Yes, this requires that you read the owners manual and the back of the oil bottle.

The cost difference from the cheapest to the most expensive (that meets the spec) is huge and you will not see much, if any. performance/durability difference !

Full synthetic is not needed (unless stated in the owners manual). Stick with conventional or a blend. The exception is if you plan to park your rig overnight at below 0F and no block heater !

And changing your oil much earlier than recommended, is a waste of money.

Bingo...we have a winner.

It's incredibly rare for modern engines to die due to oil issues (obviously not leaks or obvious abuse). Any oil that meets manufacturers spec is perfectly fine and you can expect the engine to last longer than the rig.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer

RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
Mother Benz is VERY particular as to oil used...

Buy the CHEAPEST oil that meets the spec. Yes, this requires that you read the owners manual and the back of the oil bottle.

The cost difference from the cheapest to the most expensive (that meets the spec) is huge and you will not see much, if any. performance/durability difference !

Full synthetic is not needed (unless stated in the owners manual). Stick with conventional or a blend. The exception is if you plan to park your rig overnight at below 0F and no block heater !

And changing your oil much earlier than recommended, is a waste of money.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
It's a new unit. The ownwer's manual does say the type of oil that is required, however, I'm trying to find out if existing owners prefer one brand over others.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Mother Benz is VERY particular as to oil used... As stated, it will depend on year and model of your Sprinter engine.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't see where you said which model year the Sprinter is. The T1N 5 cylinder engine has one oil spec, the earlier NVC3 Sprinters have another spec, and the later NCV3s yet another. For the earlier NVC3s, the spec is 229.51 and I believe the two most widely used oils are Mobil 1 ESP and Valvoline Syn Power MST. There are multiple other brands that meet the spec. I used Mobil 1 for a few years, then switched over to Valvoline when Mobil 1 dropped the 5w40 viscosity. I've also found the Syn Power MST to have wider availability and a generally lower price. Check your manual for which spec you need.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Look in the glove box.....consult the owner's manual.
I use synthetic in the recommended viscosity.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro