cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Foot Platinum Series, leveler or just stabilizer?

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a new class C motorhome and the brochure says Automatic Leveling system-4 point. When I went to the Big Foot leveler website, it showed the panel under stabilizer for the E-450. Here is the site Big Foot
Sure doesn't look automatic or for leveling, just stabilizing for rocking?
8 REPLIES 8

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it's a leveler. Puts down legs to stabilize, then I have to manually adjust each leg to make it level. It will lift MH off the ground. Got demonstration.

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks solo. Plenty of CCC, it's on an E-450 chassis and has 2500lbs. I will be going back this morning to see the MH again without the DW. I will ask about the levelers and why it's on the stabilizer and not the auto leveler like the brochure says. Also, I will get a demonstration.

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
Solo, so if I pull into a site that I would normally need to raise 3 of the wheels a few inches, it would level it. I would have to use my own levels for making the adjustments?

If I understand your question correctly, yes. Generally you would install some type of level on board that you would watch as you operated the system manually-this is what we do. The fully auto system does everything for you. Some people like the full auto, others like myself like doing this manually-less technology to complicate things perhaps. Another difference in the two systems is the "central pump" vs. individual remote pumps. Again, make sure what is being offered by the RV manufacturer, call Bigfoot, and do your homework. I selected the central pump manual control system for our Ford e450 chassis. We have 12" stroke cylinders front and 14" rear". This will not move the chassis the full distance as the suspension is not moved until the Bigfoot pad makes contact with the ground. However, it will darn near take the coach off the ground when on level surfaces when the system is in full extension. We've been in a few "very un-level" sites before and our system cylinders have had more than ample travel to level. Of course, I can always add blocks if I needed even more travel but then, that defeats the convenience of just pulling in and pressing a button!

Do your research on owners of similar systems with similar coaches. I can only be a source for this type of system on the Ford E450 chassis. You are adding weight to have this convenience. Don't forget to factor this if you select a chassis that could be marginal with it's carrying capacity.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Called Bigfoot, it levels. Not true automatic. Press on then start. All 4 move to stabilizing position. Then I have to adjust each. He said it can be upgraded easily to fully automatic changing controller and sensor.

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Solo, so if I pull into a site that I would normally need to raise 3 of the wheels a few inches, it would level it. I would have to use my own levels for making the adjustments?

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
The Bigfoot link you provided is essentially the same model I installed last year on my Winnebago Aspect 23D. It utilizes a manual control for "leveling". Leveling vs. stabilizing in this case is a matter of verbiage only-look at the specs-I can put the entire coach in the if air I wanted too-not a good idea of course but technically possible. The fully automatic model from Bigfoot as you have noticed is more of a "one-button" operation. The main difference in these two systems is simply the electronic control that operates the hydraulics. I like our manual control but, have not used Bigfoots fully auto system so cannot give you specific experiences. If you have questions about the Bigfoot options-give them a call. I had a few glitches during my install and visited with their tech assistance several times. Bigfoot has excellent customer support. I really do like our Bigfoot system. Some will tell you that you don't need a system such as this on some smaller Cs but I certainly will refrain from telling others what they need or don't need. What I can say is this-we love our Bigfoot system!
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
The E-450 has a 5,000lbs GAWR front and 9,600lbs rear. I'm going to have to make some calls tomorrow. That's a lot of money for just stabilizing and only $600 difference from actual levelers.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
PER BIG FOOT (which is contradictory........stabilizing system but can lift 4k each?)

Platinum Automatic Stabilizing System

Quick, one touch operation that automatically deploys the jacks to a specific point and stabilizes the vehicle in just over 30 seconds!

Four powder coated cylinders made at our facility rated to lift 8,000 pounds per cylinder. (4 X 8000 = 32,000#)

SO how much does that 'C' weigh?

And 'C' mfg. marketing department is just that.....puts out advertisements not truth/fact w/o fine print/disclaimers

SO contact 'C' mfg. and point out discrepancies between their brochure and Big Foots Information......see what horsepucky they claim
OR contact Big Foot and see what they spew.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31