cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

boondocking, need help asap....

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just put a new controller in for my 55w solar panel. It charges batts (2 12v) to full charge, but once the sun starts to go down the batts start to discharge and the controller shows red by morning. Why is this happening? Thought the controller controls this? How do I stop the discharging?
thanks in advance!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
69 REPLIES 69

Jetta03
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't read the whole thread, but I think OP problem is the 55watt panel is just too small to put enough current into the batteries in one day. Max output of that panel might amount to about 30 amp hours at the absolute most in perfect conditions.

If he's watching voltage the batteries may appear charged but once the surface charge dissipates or he applies a slight load he'll get an accurate reading. I'm guessing his battery bank is rarely fully charged with that setup.

I've got a 230watt panel and mppt controller and in bad conditions I can see 14.6 volts at the batteries, but only a couple amps current output from the charger. Voltage is a bad indicator of soc in this scenario.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
mena661 wrote:
I really don't mean to pile on but a voltage check while a battery is being charged doesn't indicate anything other than it's being charged. In order to get anywhere near the correct SOC using voltage, you have to disconnect all charging sources and loads, wait 24 hrs, then take a reading.

...Round 7, cycle parameters unknown, battery condition unknown. Starting all over again ...

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
campermama wrote:
the new morningstar is working, solar is charging batts to full every day I have sun! I checked with a volt meter.
End of story!
I really don't mean to pile on but a voltage check while a battery is being charged doesn't indicate anything other than it's being charged. In order to get anywhere near the correct SOC using voltage, you have to disconnect all charging sources and loads, wait 24 hrs, then take a reading. When I come home from a trip, hook up the charger, the batteries voltages eventually comes up to 14.8V. Guess what? They're not fully charged. Eventually the charger goes into float as 13.65V. Guess what? They're STILL not fully charged. Eventually 50W will get your batteries in the high 90% range but it will not be in a day.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok again.....the bad controller was a solar30. It WAS NOT working, thus NOT charging the batteries!
the new morningstar is working, solar is charging batts to full every day I have sun! I checked with a volt meter.
End of story!

My Adventure Blog:

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campermama, which controller was bad - new Morningstar? Correct me if I'm wrong, you don't know that the batteries were NOT running down with 50W panel before, until the old controller died. All this time you have been relying on the "fair/good" indicator that one author called "an idiot green light", I think it was Handy Bob. Going in circles...

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:
Always good to hear when somebody's pain is over.

campermama wrote:
The batteries were just too low for the solar to keep up and like I mentioned before I use very little energy so now the solar can keep up. ๐Ÿ™‚

What makes you think it's all good? ๐Ÿ™‚
If 50W solar can keep up, your battery should always be full or almost full, at least on sunny days, and problems like before would have never happened. That's why I doubt it can keep up, and I'm not the only one.

Moreover, if the battery was discharged too low and for too long, it has been irreversibly damaged. It will work, but will die sooner now.

One good news is that new 10A controller allows adding 80W or 100W to your existing 50W, as noted.

Wow doom and gloom! The batteries were running down for about 5 days until I realized the controller was bad. Long story short.....ran genny, charged up batts, got new controller and yes now batts are fully charged each day. So yeah, right now its all good until something else happens ๐Ÿ™‚

My Adventure Blog:

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Always good to hear when somebody's pain is over.

campermama wrote:
The batteries were just too low for the solar to keep up and like I mentioned before I use very little energy so now the solar can keep up. ๐Ÿ™‚

What makes you think it's all good? ๐Ÿ™‚
If 50W solar can keep up, your battery should always be full or almost full, at least on sunny days, and problems like before would have never happened. That's why I doubt it can keep up, and I'm not the only one.

Moreover, if the battery was discharged too low and for too long, it has been irreversibly damaged. It will work, but will die sooner now.

One good news is that new 10A controller allows adding 80W or 100W to your existing 50W, as noted.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Genny now starts on first pull like it used to thanks to Seafoam!
And solar is now working great once batts were brought back up.

Thanks everybody!

Now to get trailer tire fixed (has a nail in it) ๐Ÿ™‚

My Adventure Blog:

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the generator will be used more frequently to charge it would be a good time to review the charging system. Some converters are great, most are slow and weak.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmckelvy wrote:
campermama wrote:
Genny is really hard to start but it will start, then it surges when on ECO, but off of ECO it runs fine. If its not one thing its another.

Get a can of Seafoam and put about 1/4 of the can in the gas tank. Your surging in ECO mode is most likely a gummed up carb jet. I had this exact symptom with my EUi2000. Cleaned carb and fixed problem.

Yup got some seafoam put in a few oz's half can is way too much for a gallon of gas, and it is running pretty good right now! Going to let it run for a few hours. It is dark and rainy here anyway so not a lot of solar action.
big test will see if it starts easier tomorrow.

My Adventure Blog:

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the general consensus here, arrived at a conclusion that Sea Foam was mouse-milk. ???

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
campermama wrote:
Genny is really hard to start but it will start, then it surges when on ECO, but off of ECO it runs fine. If its not one thing its another.

Get a can of Seafoam and put about 1/4 of the can in the gas tank. Your surging in ECO mode is most likely a gummed up carb jet. I had this exact symptom with my EUi2000. Cleaned carb and fixed problem.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mother Fletcher's Do-It-Yourself Self Diagnostic Flooded Battery B.S. Detector