cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake issue

DalenJude
Explorer
Explorer
I have just done a complete brake bearing repack and adjustment. Done it many times. Took 5th wheel for a test run and did a number of braking at different speeds.
I went around and felt all brake hubs and three were hot to touch and fourth was cold. I checked and listened that there was buzzing noise at wheel which should mean there is power to magnet.

Just not sure I,m getting any braking on that wheel?
Any ideas.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You tell us nothing regarding what trailer you have but if it has self adjusting brakes, they may have put the wrong adjuster in that position. That's what happened to us. So insead of it adjusting it tighter, it just kept loosening the adjuster untill it all fell apart in the drum.

To test, pull the break away pin or connect to truck while wheel is in the air. Try to turn wheel by hand.

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure break away cable not pulled. Should not be power to magnets unless on brake pedal or break away switch pulled

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Jack up that wheel and test braking by briefly pulling the breakaway switch. If the wheel can't be turned, the brakes work but they still may have a problem with grease or other issue. Check the adjustment while up. Next step would be pulling the drum.

Also consider the possibility that the other three are adjusted too tight.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Re-check the adjustment.