cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breakers for solar

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased all the components for my solar about 1.5 months ago. At that time I ordered a few inline 30amp fuses, but unfortunately they haven't arrived yet. I have everything else, so I've been waiting to install, unfortunately I'm leaving in 2 weeks on a 3.5 month trip, so I need to get this done now.

I ordered ones like this since I was hoping to have it mostly plug and play. Just connect things together. I was hoping to stay way from splicing wired or adding terminal connectors.

In absence of those, what are my options? I can get these inline circuit breakers. Are they appropriate for the places I was going to put fuses?

I could splice in fuses like this, but they always seem to be larger gauge wiring than my solar, but maybe I haven't looked carefully enough.

Any other recommendations? I'm in Canada, so I have places like Princess Auto, etc to work with. Can't order anything online a this point. Preferably the easier the better. I'm confident I can start making new connections, but its not something I've really done.
19 REPLIES 19

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
Many charge controllers require you to have circuit breakers installed for the panels and for the battery leads. Can you do without them? Sure you can, but why would you? As stated by other posters I wouldn't let it stop me from a trip if I didn't have them, but I would install them as soon as possible.
Lots of the so called professional installers don't install them which doesn't make it right, but does prove their incompetency.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

glennts
Explorer
Explorer
After using all of the above and always having thermal issues I went with a pair of Trac digital circuit breakers. Select 30 - 60 Amps, manual or auto reset. More expensive but problem free. Have them set to 30 Amps before the charge controller and 40 Amps after.

https://www.tracoutdoor.com/shop/electrical-items/12v-digital-circuit-breakers-with-display/

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Also check your alternator output and your starter circuit. Breakaway brake system?

The solar should not overload the wire because the ampacity should be well above the solar rating. Really just protecting the wire from power coming from the battery. Yes if the controller is right there next to the battery IMO skip the fuse is OK. Several feet away or going through blind areas or anything else tricky about it then yes put a fuse close to the battery.

Also don't forget your battery interconnect fuses. One at each end.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
time2roll wrote:
You really only need a fuse close to the battery.
And that is not even necessary if the wire is in plain view and not too far from the battery.

Using a wire as a fuse. Great idea :S
Very common with 12V vehicle electronics. It's called a fusible link. Just a short piece of wire of thinner gauge than the rest, so it burns out first in the case of an overload. Although I don't think that's what time2roll meant.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
And that is not even necessary if the wire is in plain view and not too far from the battery.

Using a wire as a fuse. Great idea :S
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

You don't need fuses from the panels to controller. The wire should have at least twice the ampacity of the panels and will not even get warm when shorted together.

So cancel your order before they ship.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
What size fuses are you looking for? For what purpose? If you have only 1 solar panel or 1 string of solar panels in series then there is absolutely no reason to install a fuse between the panel(s) and the controller.
If you have more than 2 panels or strings in parallel then you do need fuses on each string.
Square D QO series breakers are rated for use in DC circuits up to 50 volts. This makes them usable for 12v and 24v solar systems but not 48v since a 48v system will be over 50v when charging. You can get QO breakers and panels at any Lowes, Home Depot, or electrical supply.
Or, you can get purpose made DC breakers. MidNite Solar and Outback both sell them (and some others I'm sure). Most any solar equipment dealer should be able to help.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
jpmihalk wrote:
I used the fuses like in the last picture. I then used shrink wrap to seal the splices (and covered them from the elements) and they have been working fine ever since.

X2

Just match the wire gauge and thin install the correct amp fuse.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Fuses where needed ? Where are they needed ? My installation didn't need any.
But then, if you lack confidence in your installation, then maybe you need them.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Just my humble opinion, for a small array like an RV will have, why bother with fuses at all between the panels and controller?
x2. Getting fuses in there is not a deal breaker for your trip.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Fubeca
Explorer
Explorer
I use ANL and mini ANL fuses and holders where needed. They are available from any car audio store and online.

ANL Fuse on Amazon

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
WindyNation recommends fuses. I installed. No issues. Why second guess the manufacturer?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Hermes1
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
I have used this

These are quick and easy if you want to disconnect the panel from the controller. If you want top quality, go with blue seas or bussman.

I also have used these, in the 30Amp flavor though. Worked just fine.
2017 Eagle Cap 1165
2015 Ram 3500 Bighorn DRW 3:73 Gears and AISIN Tranny
Gone but not forgotten:
2014 Northwood Mfg. Snow River 246 RKS
2013 Aliner Expedition

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered some like that but they felt so cheap that I wouldn't use them. YMMV, I decided to order some Blue sea circuit breakers instead.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB