cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't start generator

PhrogPhlyer
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a used 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationeer from a private owner. About 5 weeks ago I stored the motorhome at a storage facility that does not offer a plugin. The RV sat for about 25 days. When I went out to exercise the generator I was unable to start it without the coach engine running. I drove the RV home and plugged it in for a week to get the batteries charged up; however, I still cannot start the generator from the house batteries. I get a very weak start sound and that's it. The meters show that the house batteries are 100% charged at about 12.6V, but there's just not enough "umph" to get the generator to turn over. The house DC circuits all appear to work, but no generator start-up unless the coach engine is running.
21 REPLIES 21

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
You don't know if it is your battery or the connections to it. Load testing would give you the answer, so would measuring the battery voltage, right on the battery posts, under load, assuming the battery is fully charged.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
No offense intended but you std onboard battery monitor is almost worthless - almost anyplace that sells batteries will load test your batteries for free.
Kevin

PhrogPhlyer
Explorer
Explorer
Since I can start the generator with the coach engine running I'm not that concerned at the moment about replacing the batteries. I did try to start the generator this morning with the engine off. It appears, if I can trust the onboard battery status monitor, that the voltage drops to near zero when I try to start the generator. It bounces back to the original value - 12.6V - when I release the starter button. Another indication, if I'm not wrong, that the batteries have "gone south".

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
When that happens to me the first thing I do is clean/polish/tighten the battery connections - then do the same with the chassis ground and generator ground. You should also note that some people just get in the habit of starting the rig before starting the generator - no big deal.
Kevin

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I have had exactly one battery that lasted 10 years. That is out of a total of 100 or so different vehicles and other equipment.

If you remove the batteries and take them to one of the auto parts houses, they can confirm the demise of your batteries by doing a load test.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

PhrogPhlyer
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I have the receipt from the original owner showing he purchased the batteries and charger in 2003.

Also, I suspected that although the battery shows that it's charged, it wasn't pushing out enough amps to crank the generator. That's probably why it starts with the coach engine running - the alternator is pushing the amps into the system to crank the generator.

Going to check out a couple of more things today, but I think you all have confirmed my thinking that the house batteries have "gone south".

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can also have corroded connections from the battery terminals or back at the genset.

german57
Explorer
Explorer
batteries need amps for starting that is why they say how many amps a battery has I imagine you don't have enough starting amps

german57
Explorer
Explorer
Even though your batteries show charged they don't have enough amps to turn over starter have run into this alot

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
There is a manufacturers date code on the battery. Usually on top somewhere. Depending on where you obtained the 2003 as being the batteries age. The battery / s may be 2013, & not 2003.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

PhrogPhlyer
Explorer
Explorer
Would need another person in order to do that. Batteries are on the opposite side of the RV from the generator.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the battery voltage when the generator is cranking?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

MrWizard
you probably need new batteries
but when you store it, use the disconnect and disconnect the house batteries from all loads
there are parasitic loads like smoke detectors, inverter idle, LP / CO monitor that will drain batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Most auto parts stores can check your batteries.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter