cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can tires be off ground on auto leveling system?

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
when we pulled into our campground yesterday, the auto-leveling system was off a bit. I had to raise one side a bit and then noticed that two of the tires on one side were between 1/4 and 1/2 inch off the ground.
I don't feel comfortable with this, but since this is the third time out with our 5th wheel, I wanted to know if this is acceptable, or if I need to make some adjustments.
30 REPLIES 30

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
It's all good until one of the jacks decides to break loose at its mounting points or bends the frame, such as happened with the POS Grand Design Solitude we had. Underdesigned Lippert junk.. Also the equalizer link can flip when the wheels leave the ground and in that case you need a good stout jack, or some blocks to jam under the spring eye and lower the leveling Jack's to flip it back. Careful using the blocks and leveler to flip an equalizer back, you might bend the frame or rip the jack off.

When we had our frame problems we put the 5er on a perfectly level shop floor and ran the Jack's in both auto level and manual, checking frame deflection with measurements and string lines. No wonder we experienced the frame issues. If ran in manual and we raised the wheels off the floor, the amount of frame deflection was shocking. Of course Grand Design claimed all was normal. So normal they took it back to the factory and repaired it. The repairs quickly failed. I don't know how things bending and welds cracking is normal but so be it. All the creaking and moaning when those Jack's are operated is your rig telling you how shoddily it's put together.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MNRon wrote:
We have a 16k lb 5er with MORryde IS, and snap pads on the levelers. When IS was installed the tech lifted the whole trailer up for two days (and we slept in it) with the hydraulics - he didnโ€™t even use backup blocking for support. Even when wheels and previous suspension was cut off so there was nothing but 2ft of space and the levelers between the frame and ground (NOT recommended when getting under it)!

After this experience I donโ€™t worry at all if the auto level puts wheels in the air or not. Truth be told, thereโ€™s more stability if wheels are touching, but not so much I worry about it. We travel about half-time, switching campsites every couple/few days. Iโ€™d guess we have two, or all, wheels up about 25% of the time. Hasnโ€™t been an issue in 2+yrs.

Same experience with ours, ZERO extra support. The tech was crawling around UNDER the RV a lot. MORryde is a big company, if it were a safety issue they would have supported the RV.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
Does anyone have any real experience or first hand knowledge of jack arms bending by having the wheels off the ground under normal camping circumstances? I've never heard of one. I know I have seen hundreds of various RV's with wheels in the air while camping. I don't recall any of them having an issue. My FW is far more stable on 6 jacks if I put the whole thing in the air than just the tires.

Maybe if in an earthquake.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"If it really is just touching (you can spin it by hand), that's really no better than off the ground."

That's my point!!!

Then don't do that.

I have zero issue with one or all tires off the ground.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 16k lb 5er with MORryde IS, and snap pads on the levelers. When IS was installed the tech lifted the whole trailer up for two days (and we slept in it) with the hydraulics - he didnโ€™t even use backup blocking for support. Even when wheels and previous suspension was cut off so there was nothing but 2ft of space and the levelers between the frame and ground (NOT recommended when getting under it)!

After this experience I donโ€™t worry at all if the auto level puts wheels in the air or not. Truth be told, thereโ€™s more stability if wheels are touching, but not so much I worry about it. We travel about half-time, switching campsites every couple/few days. Iโ€™d guess we have two, or all, wheels up about 25% of the time. Hasnโ€™t been an issue in 2+yrs.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
valhalla360 wrote:

Far better to support the tires and use them as stabilizers as they are intended.

actualy the owners manual for mine states they are levelers not stabalizers, I think a lot of people thing they are the same thing as the old crank down jacks we use to use. they are engineered to be able to level and hold more than the weight of the rv.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Does anyone have any real experience or first hand knowledge of jack arms bending by having the wheels off the ground under normal camping circumstances? I've never heard of one. I know I have seen hundreds of various RV's with wheels in the air while camping. I don't recall any of them having an issue. My FW is far more stable on 6 jacks if I put the whole thing in the air than just the tires.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wnjj wrote:
Why not attach rubber to the bottom of the jacks if youโ€™re concerned about movement? That way you are just trading a tire for a post.

The concern isn't that they metal pads will slide but that the arms will bend. A rubber bottom does nothing to stop that.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"If it really is just touching (you can spin it by hand), that's really no better than off the ground."

That's my point!!!

Then don't do that.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelle.S wrote:
If you're going to put blocks under the tires to prevent them from being off the ground, WHY did you buy an Auto Leveling System if you won't let it do it's job.
I've had tires just touching to off the ground by 4 or 5 inches. Hasn't broke our unit yet.
My thoughts and experience as well.
I don't worry about it at all. But then, I do not have a Lippert frame! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just kidding around, not trying to start a war!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're going to put blocks under the tires to prevent them from being off the ground, WHY did you buy an Auto Leveling System if you won't let it do it's job.
I've had tires just touching to off the ground by 4 or 5 inches. Hasn't broke our unit yet.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:
Why not attach rubber to the bottom of the jacks if youโ€™re concerned about movement? That way you are just trading a tire for a post.

Only time tires touching adds stability is when side to side movement is being done right above the tires.

My six point system is solid whether tires are touching or not. Many times when not unhooking all my tires are off the ground to level the RV. Simply not a problem.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

That's my point!!!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II