cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can1500w inverter or Honda 2k gen work 900w Microwave

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
My brother has a High Point microwave 900w with 1350w operating. He says the inverter won't run the microwave even on a totally isolated circuit. Starts then stops. Now he is worried that his Hoinda 2200i generator may not have enough power either. He has major trips coming up and wants to get the microwave working off shore power.
20 REPLIES 20

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whether the inverter can power your brother's microwave is one matter, the toll to 2 batteries for just a few minutes of microwave use will take a significant bite out of the onboard 12 volt reserves. This will eventually lead to powering up the genny earlier and longer to replenish consumed amphours, our inverter could power up our microwave but I always would run the genny since it would literally zap our 2 battery setup.

We have plenty of solar which helps, inevitably when using high amperage items (microwave, blow dryer, curling irons, coffee makers, blenders, etc.) on just a dual battery bank the generator ends up being used more than necessary. We have an Iota IQ4 smart converter that quickly restores our batteries during bulk charging, having a remote start genny (Onan/Champion 3100) makes it easy for us to use high amp items at our convenience.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
genny yes.
inverter depends
1) what size battery cables and how long the run from battery(s) to inverter
2) what size and number of batteries
3) battery state of charge.
4) inverter max continous rated VA
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
My brother says he has 2awg cable going from inverter to 2 BB Lithium batteries. He is calling GoPower today as he bought their inverter with their recommendation. He says all testing has been done directly with isolated circuits soley the microwave. If he can get the inverter to handle the load, then he can alway use it that way instead of using the microwave.
I will be camping with him tomorrow and will bring all my test equipment like clamp-on ammeter, Kill-a-watt and short power cored with exposed wiring for clamp-on use.

I run my micro on my Honda 2000. You can hear the sound of it slow initially on startup while the genny ramps up speed to keep up with the load, but it works fine.
I run it in Econo mode so it doesnt always rev so high.
I don't know how many watts mine is, never checked. It came with the TT.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
The short answer is yes. I constantly run my microwave with one EU2000i generator. Of course, it depends on what else is running. Maybe the reason his inverter won't power the microwave is that things are running that he has either forgot about or doesn't realize they are powered by the inverter?
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

MrWizard
How many batteries does Brother have connected to the inverter w/o and what size wire, mucho battery capacity is king when it comes to this situation,with Big Thick Cables, for the high amps
I consider a 1500w inverter not large enough for a 1300x load, doesn't allow for sufficient overhead for inverter conversion loss 15% need 1495watts into the inverter from the batteries, and that doses not include startup surge spike
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s