cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 73536i 2000w Inverter Generator

JohnG4706
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Champion 73536i 2000w Inverter Generator and hooked it up to my Puma 23FB trailer to recharge my 12v battery. I also have the PI 30 Amp surge protector with the digital readout that I hardwired,

I was getting an E 2 message indicating an open ground. I plugged in a 3-light tester directly to the 73536i and got the same reading. None of the 120v outlets were working inside the TT and the battery wasn't charging.

I looked in the Owner's Manual (didn't find anything) and called their 800 help line.

The tech said to "bond" a wire...basically connect a short wire from the silver/neutral screw of the outlet to the green/yellow wire (the generator ground)....the outlet neutral looks like a "T".

Is that right? Sounds like a shortcut, like cutting the ground post off the plug end to get it to fit into an old fashioned two slot outlet without a ground. I'm not an electrician, but have rewired my house, done my share of homeowner electrical work including using rigid conduit and try to do everything per the book.

Is this a common problem? Comments appreciated.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG4706 wrote:
I have the Champion 73536i 2000w Inverter Generator and hooked it up to my Puma 23FB trailer to recharge my 12v battery. I also have the PI 30 Amp surge protector with the digital readout that I hardwired,

I was getting an E 2 message indicating an open ground. I plugged in a 3-light tester directly to the 73536i and got the same reading. None of the 120v outlets were working inside the TT and the battery wasn't charging.

I looked in the Owner's Manual (didn't find anything) and called their 800 help line.

The tech said to "bond" a wire...basically connect a short wire from the silver/neutral screw of the outlet to the green/yellow wire (the generator ground)....the outlet neutral looks like a "T".

Is that right? Sounds like a shortcut, like cutting the ground post off the plug end to get it to fit into an old fashioned two slot outlet without a ground. I'm not an electrician, but have rewired my house, done my share of homeowner electrical work including using rigid conduit and try to do everything per the book.

Is this a common problem? Comments appreciated.

Thanks.

IDK. My CPE 73578i worked with my 2014 Puma trailer perfectly. I'd lose the surge protector.

Mike_Sokol
Explorer
Explorer
I have lots more of my electrical safety articles at www.noshockzone.org

Mike Sokol

Mike_Sokol
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
I built the G-N plug as shown in the picture on noshockzone.com using a 3-prong plug from Lowes and a 1.5 inch piece of 12gage wire. Cost about $3.00. You plug it in to one of the 110 outlets, doesn't matter which one. You can plug your tester in the other one and confirm no error. After that your Champion will work fine. Just leave the G-N plugged in. I have a Campion and a PI EMS also.

I'm Mike Sokol from the No~Shock~Zone. Thanks for posting a link to my article about generator neutral bonding. I designed this simple fix a few years ago, and have received hundreds of emails about it being used successfully. Here's a link to my video showing how to test your generator to see if it has a floating or bonded neutral. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-bTLdMjuqUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-bTLdMjuqU

Mike Sokol

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Wow nice to see there is a simple solution available!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

MrWizard
moved from technology
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I built the G-N plug as shown in the picture on noshockzone.com using a 3-prong plug from Lowes and a 1.5 inch piece of 12gage wire. Cost about $3.00. You plug it in to one of the 110 outlets, doesn't matter which one. You can plug your tester in the other one and confirm no error. After that your Champion will work fine. Just leave the G-N plugged in. I have a Campion and a PI EMS also.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
I started a thread concerning this matter you can read it here

Here's the link for the Progressive adapter
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
THere was just a post about this related to a Progressive industries surge suppressor. The fix given will work.
Essentially the surge is designed to be used with CG power. Using it with a genset will generate an error message.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
some of the newer inverters in rv's will not work with a floating nuetral generator.

What you need to so it make and edison plug and tie togther the nuetral and ground. Plug this in to an empty outlet on the gen and you should be good to go...

I do this to my gen.

read here.

http://www.noshockzone.org/generator-ground-neutral-bonding/
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like your PI is protecting you from what it thinks is bad shore power. But, you are not using shore power, you are using a generator. My plug in power tester shows an open ground on my inside outlets when I use my onboard generator but not when using shore power. I can't speak to their solution but I think if you can bypass the PI it should work OK. Others will chime in with the details but it has something to do with the difference in grounding RVs and stick/bricks.
Good Luck.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.