cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CHMSL on a Trailer?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has long been a requirement that vehicles have what the NHTSA calls a Center High-Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL) to improve visibility in traffic. I'm considering adding one to the back of our TT and starting to noodle about how I might wire it up so it doesn't blink with the turn signals.

I've noticed over the years how effective these lights are in traffic...especially when you are following an SUV, van or other tall vehicle that blocks your view of the tail lights on the vehicle ahead of him. It really helps you watch who's doing what in heavy traffic, and I've noticed that some heavy dump trucks and other commercial vehicles are adding stop lights higher up on the truck body.
11 REPLIES 11

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
LOL they repealed the requirement for annual vehicle safety inspections here in KY!!
Remind me stay far away from any vehicle with Kentucky plates!

Better stay away from Ohio also, we never had annual vehicle safety inspections. I always feel so much safer in PA. :W

Same for California.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a rear window that is centered that could be an easier place to mount one. Inside I mean. You could even take it down when actually RVing. Or maybe a centering bracket coming off of the ladder if you have one with the wire feeding thru the ladder vertical tube.
Puma 30RKSS

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well that explains a lot about Ohio drivers....must be the equipment! LOL :B

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
LOL they repealed the requirement for annual vehicle safety inspections here in KY!!

Better stay away from Ohio also, we never had annual vehicle safety inspections. I always feel so much safer in PA. :W
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a good idea, can't hurt anything to have more visibility.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
AKA "The Liddy Light".

My Silverado has a factory wire next to the trailer plug for powering such a light if I was carrying a TC. Perhaps your burb does too, and you could use that.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Wiring the thing would be an issue but possible. Maybe use one of the LED tailgate light bars?

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be sure the after market light fixture and lens are DOT APPROVED. Otherwise you will have to remove it when Safety Inspection time comes around.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I have thought of putting one on our 5er but dread the thought of trying to fish the wire in the rear wall so it looks good. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"