cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning top of slideout

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently downsized to a one slideout 5th wheel. When camping I've always used a ladder to clean off the leaves and small branches before retracting the slides. I usually just climb up on the ladder and use the hose to wash everything off.

After a couple of falls from ladders, I'm looking for a creative way to eliminate the ladder and do everything from the ground. I do not want an awning on the slide for several reasons.

I figure there must be some way to effectively sweep all the stuff off the slideout and would appreciate any creative ideas.
36 REPLIES 36

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
A slide topper prolongs the life of your roof. No harmful UV rays degrading it. Once installed (2 hour job at most), it will last 15 years.
As the OP stated: "I do not want an awning on the slide for several reasons."

Let's let the slide topper discussion languish, due to lack of interest by the OP.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A slide topper prolongs the life of your roof. No harmful UV rays degrading it. Once installed (2 hour job at most), it will last 15 years.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Toppers will mold when retracted wet and not extended soon after to dry.

When I stated to retract, you do this to REMOVE the accumulated water and then extend after it sheds the water. Doug
It's a moot point, the OP has already stated he isn't interested in slide toppers. No sense arguing about it. And they get moldy, so what.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

So do the awnings and even when you close them up dried they still wick in moisture. Mine get rolled up dry every time and next time I open them after it rains they are wet and I get dripped on.

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

When I stated to retract, you do this to REMOVE the accumulated water and then extend after it sheds the water. Doug

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
dryfly wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Leaf blower with a gutter cleaning attachment.

X2

What if it has just rained???

A definite possibility. In that case being able to wash it off would be an advantage.

Build a PVC spray wand with a 90 degree elbow built in. You will have to be careful not to blast under the seals. Stand back far enough and angle the pole so that the spray aims slightly down.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. ALL slide toppers will accumulate rain and then you have to bring the slide in to remove the water. Don't do this and your slide material will stretch and make the problem worse
2. Slide Toppers also need to be cleaned/blown off of leaves and debris. Just retracting will not shed any debris. Pine Needles are the worst. They will retract inside the roller tube when you have a metal exterior cover and jam up the spring and not roll all the way tight
3. Slide covers are great for keeping water from getting inside the slide seals and coming in the RV. Granted the slide seal system SHOULD keep water out but why tempt fate on older rigs. Doug

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200585749_200585749?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Googl...

Expensive, but maybe you could remove the head and attach a broom head.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

X2

A definite possibility. In that case being able to wash it off would be an advantage.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyemunson wrote:
I'm curious as to your dislike of slide toppers? I would no longer have a slide without one. Takes care of leaves and snow and makes leaks less likely.

If it's wet the needles and leaves roll right up.

Owned a RV with toppers and two since without. NEVER again.

I spend a lot of time where the wind blows. I hear "oh my I need to get to the RV and being the slides in with this wind"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edd505 wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

X2

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
High power, 4 prop, drone w/cameras.

This just sounds like "too much fun"! I might even be able to charge to clean off other trailers in the campground.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Please see my OP. I know slide toppers and ladders (both free standing and attached to trailer) are effective. If you have them and like them I'm happy for you. I am looking for ALTERNATIVE ways to clean top of slide.

I appreciate the suggestions of leaf blowers and using a long water extension tube. I've thought of both of them and feel they would work. I've even considered some type of a broom with an extension and a 180 degree bend that could sweep off the slide top.

Any other ideas appreciated. thanks.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I'd sure like to know the reasons for no topper. I might want to take mine off!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)