cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Close Quarters 90 Degree Corded or Battery Drill

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My orange nightmare from Harbor Freight is a no-go because the 3/8 chuck sticks and then acts like it is broken. The motor is an animal. Powerful. I have no idea if the chuck is replaceable. I was stunned when I found out the price of a 3/8" Jacob's chuck -- almost eighty dollars and I have no idea if that would fit the drill in the first place.

But the drill is near unbelieably heavy. Way too heavy to manage.

When I think of battery cordless drills the size of the battery comes into play. It's meant to fit into tight areas. And a bulky battery would be a disaster.

Is there a new lighter weight 90 degree drill lurking out there looking for another new owner? I think the last one before the Harbor Freight was a corded Milwaukee and today's retail price has to be far beyond my budget. And it was more like a 45 degree drill.

I'd hate to play the part of the guinea pig with an unknown drill but it's the only way, then so be it.

Or are new chucks available for the HF? I can always hang it on the to-be-ordered counterweight.
11 REPLIES 11

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My tinkering leads me to weird working configurations. I do not slap together Lucas grade prince of darkness configuration nightmares, thus rivnuts rather than through bolting and a 16 pole disconnect plug and socket once a lid is open.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Milwaukee Close Quarter 120v drill, that's about 30 years old. I really liked it for installing furnace duct. It got dropped to many times and the plastic calling fan broke, now I just use on the bench.
I have a DeWalt right angle 12v much like the Ryobi shown. It works well but not needed very much.

Dusty

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
No compressor ๐Ÿ˜ž and the neighbors would lynch me. A hundred dollars is beyond my ability. The two hundred fifty mile monthly commute for medical keeps my wallet mighty thin. I'll work it out. I sure appreciate all the suggestions. Tomorrow I will be off the air and bent over a workbench, smiling.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an adequate supply of compressed air, you could consider an air powered right angle drill motor. I have on from Harbor Freight and it's fine for my minimal use. It's light too.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I have this one and am happy with it. But then, I have a whole assortment of the One+ tools so they can all share a battery and battery charger.

Ryobi One+ 18v Right Angle Drill

That's great tool, I have one and use it more than my dewalt
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Landy I am hole sawing plastic and now 1/8" aluminum. Steel? No way. I fell into a 19 piece Milwaukee cobalt drill sale here for an unbelievable ten dollars including the red plastic case at Home Depot. Mexico. It had to have been a grand error. But the store help pointed out the sale and the cashier rang it up with a smile. I have one powerful Dremel-Like tool but it is awkward enough straight on one-handed. It was purchased online from a Tool Store in Texas.

DE Bishop, sir.
The model of Harbor Freight drill I have was purchased in 2001. Even Eduardo agreed "This thing is stupidly heavy" in Spanish. It weighs almost as much as my DeWalt 1/2" hammer drill. Four pounds and around 7 oz. I cannot manage the DeWalt. I will detach the counterbalance from it's hook on the small bench and hook it to a hook on the big bench when 4" holes needed for fans are necessary. Personally I think the drill you offered would work fine. The Milwaukee drill was darned near half the weight. If anyone is skeptical about just how heavy the HF drill is PM me and I'll ship it to you ๐Ÿ™‚ I am starting to believe the mad dog torque broke the chuck because I remember the drill getting stuck in a piece of plate metal 15 or so years ago and it pulled me up and across a plank work bench and I scraped my stomach and hurt my knee. Maybe one of you can use power like that. The chuck is definitely broken and the replacement chucks are all SAE thread.

Jesus drilled a 7/16" hole through a 5" thick stanchion using a Silver & Deming Milwaukee drill, some time back. He said the drill went right through. Also the HF drill is too fat to get a hand hold on. It's fatter than an aluminum Cola Can. A real Aborigine of a brute. It isn't a Hole Hawg type drill. Very disappointed as I snagged it at the mailbox and drove 2,000 miles then found it is was "Tyrannosaurus Wrecks" way too late to return it. It cost something like $49.00 on sale almost 20 years ago.

So if you feel like parting with your drill I will put "Tyrannosaurus Wrecks" outside and someone will snag it. Maybe weld a shaft to it and use it as a grout stirrer or something. I have a 9 volt conventional Ryobi drill that is marvelous for making pilot and screw holes in plastic. But a 1/4" drill is too much for it. And it's not a 90 degree. I have to use a 25/64 drill on inside wheel wells in a plastic box and a drill like a 90 degree Milwaukee or DeWalt or a Bosch will save my bacon. No more nuts and bolts! It's all nutserts now with my newest acquisition but that hosed my budget ๐Ÿ˜ž

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have a brand new corded Milwaukee 3/8 rt angle and would give it to you but that sucker is heavy, you wouldn't like it at all. I don't think the chuck should be that expensive, but in MX I don't know.

I have the cheapy HFT rt angle 3/8 and it is pretty rugged and no where near a heavy as the Milwaukee. It's noisy and I don't like the variable speed control on it but easier to use.

If you want more info, post that and send me the post in a PM.

David
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is drill at Harbor Freight.
Close corded electric(corded) drill
What size hole are you talking? Do you have short drill bits?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a number of Ryobi tools but not the one Bobbo has. So far so good in light duty use. The dual function inflator deflator included.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
While I have no idea what you are drilling, or intending to drill, I can guess.

I have a 90 degree attachment on my Dremel, and replaced the standard 1/8" collett with a drill type collett that can clamp down on a 1/64" drill bit and even smaller tightly, with no issue.

I pretty much NEVER remove the 90 degree attachement from the dremel, as it allows for so much more precision with just about any tool head I am using, and the tiny drill bits in the tiny drill chuck, well I most recently used it to drill through the solder which remained in the circuit board when I removed a 10K ohm trim pot so I could install wires into a new 5 amp voltage bucker which I use to speed control a 7000 rpm Delta fan.

Seriosuly the 90 degree dremel attachment is So much better, I have only removed it once, and the drill type attachemnt/chuck for the dremel is a thousand times more usedful than the 1/8" inch standard, that I pretty much NEVER remove that either, unless access is dificult as it is a wider diameter.

5k minimum dremel rpm is a lot for a drill but I've had no issues goin through solder, or wood, or fiberglass, or PLA, or carbon fiber with it.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have this one and am happy with it. But then, I have a whole assortment of the One+ tools so they can all share a battery and battery charger.

Ryobi One+ 18v Right Angle Drill

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB