Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coach battery charger/tender.

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I was wondering what you all do for keeping your coach battery charged? My RV didn't come with any charging for the coach battery when on shore or generator power. The coach battery always seems to go dead after a couple weeks, so I want to find a way to charge it when on shore power. Right now, I just use a battery charger plugged into the 120 and then into the cigarette lighter. But I want to install something out of sight. I am not sure what would be better. Installing a 120 volt charger and running a 12V line to the battery, or just running a 12V line from the house battery to the coach battery with a diode and a solenoid to disconnect during starting. What do you all recommend?
20 REPLIES 20

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Add an Amp-l-Start:

http://www.lslproducts.net/ALS_Overview_Page.html
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I forgot to mention, the reason I want to wire the house and coach batteries is because I want to be able to turn on the car radio and listen to it for extended periods. At present, the battery charger does not provide enough amps to do this alone, so the battery still drains. Not worried about the float voltages as the house battery is a smart battery, and also the alternator charges the house battery when driving. Currently, the charger I have is 2 amps which is higher than most battery tenders.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
A maintainer charger can go under the hood out of sight and be plugged into the 120 outside. Just use the clamps set of wires instead of the cig plug set.

IMO having its own charger like that is better than paralleling the starting battery with the house battery in case they have different specified floating voltages.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go buy a battery tender. Connect it when your parked for more than a few days.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Your lifestyle (time spent off grid) type and number of batteries, is critical information which can only be supplied by your response on this forum.

i.e. Do you spend time disconnected from a power pole?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine