cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Comments & Experiences With Tabletop Hobby Drill Press?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • Not interested in a "bolt your drill to this" chassis
  • Want to bore perfectly straight no 3 and no 4 holes to be metric tapped. Any thoughts about a mini Y and Y axis vise?
9 REPLIES 9

bdoyle
Explorer
Explorer
What about a drill guide? Basicly a steel block with perpendicular holes for different drill sizes. Clamp to what you need drilled and use hand drill. They have tap guides as well. This will get you a straight holes but if it is hole to hole distance then it is a different story.

markchengr
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will generally not expect to get a truly round and precisely sized hole produced by a drill bit alone. That's what reamers are for. However, for general purpose small hole drilling, a table top hobby type drill press will do fine. -Mark.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the early 70's I had a Craftsman table top drill press that looked a lot like the WEN that Mr Wizard posted. Maybe was a bit taller. Drilled a lot of holes in brass and aluminum with no issues. Tapped a lot of those holes, but we never were looking for .001 tolerances. Not that it might not have been that accurate, but we never checked. It did have problems with steel more than about 3/4" thick. Or drilling big holes with Forstner bits. Think motor was 1/8 or 1/4 HP only.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do a LOT of drilling small to medium (2โ€) holes in aluminum aircraft panels.

I use a 1/2โ€ benchtop drill press from the Canadian equivalent of HF. I bought it at a ridiculously low price, so low if I didnโ€™t like it figured I could flip it CraigsList for a tidy profit. That was in around 2001, I still have it, and still use it very regularly.

The only problem with these little cheapy drill presses is they arenโ€™t robust enough to take the required down force to drill anything capable of fighting back.

I did however upgrade the chuck a few years back when a friend upgrade his and I took his โ€˜hand me downโ€™ original chuck.

MrWizard
people do precision work with hobby tools all the time

lightweight precision, does not have to mean 'industrial' sized machine shop tooling

look at the table top mini-mills used by some of the hobby machinists

any holes that can be hand drilled with a portable drill (and work)
can certainly be drilled by a table top press

wen 5 speed $74

google search
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think a no 3 drill will fit a Bridgeport. Sort of like using a 966 Caterpillar backhoe to bed a rose. Well, back to using a hand-drill...

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry about being obtuse but... No 'tabletop' drill press (all imported anyway) will have spindle bearings capable of maintaining a zero runout drilled hole. Besides, even the best twist drills all runout to a degree anyway.

To get the least amount of radial runout (and a straight drilled hole) you need precision loaded bearings so a Bridgeport or a quality drill press like a Calusing is in order and neither will fit on a tabletop.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
No buddy with a small machine shop?

For minimal light use I would get the lowest price press at Harbor Freight. Probably $60 or $80. I also saw a dremel tool press as an accessory if you have a dremel tool.

I drilled and tapped two 3/16 bolt holes to repair some coin laundry machines today. All freehand and works fine for me. Good enough and done.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Save up your money and buy a Bridgeport.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB