cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Compartment Locks

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has found an alternative to those silly pot-metal compartment keyed locks and twist locks. Not so much a different design as it would have to fit the holes that are already there, but a better quality lock that dosen't feel like it's gonna break off everytimg you use it. Mayby something that's all steel, not pot metal or an aluminum casting.
Grumpy
21 REPLIES 21

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the series of Tubular Keyed cam locks. Looks like it's deceant quality, and I've never heard of a tubular key breaking off.
Grumpy

CentralCoastCam
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at this site;
http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global-Link-RV-Locks-and-Keys#.UgRxFMS9KSM

Depending on the brand of door lock you have, you can use the same key for your door and the compartments.
'05 Keystone Challenger 34 TBH 5th wheel MOR/ryde SRE/4000, Dexter wet bolt kit
'05 HD Dodge 3500 DRW extended cab CTD, 4X4, 4:10 gears
Mike & Shannon
Son Kasey & Daughter Lindsay
Alaskan Klee Kai - Kade
Golden Retriver - JD (Just Dog)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what part number from MSC did you use. I found two "automotive grade" locks from Amazon which are a step up for me because the key is a lot less flimsy than the CH751 one.

This is not for security, because a long screwdriver is always a "master key", but it means that the key is less likely to break off in the lock.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from DIY
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Answered my own question. Googled and found MSC Industrial Supply. Carry Made In USA steel locks.
Grumpy

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Not concerned with the security aspect. Pair of vice-grips would probably pull em right out. Just looking for something with a bit more quality. May look to some of the high end tool chests to see what they use.
Grumpy

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
The security problem is not with the locks...it's with the compartment door itself.

They are very thin and weak and can be compromised easily with a simple screw driver or any pry tool...doesn't matter what kind of lock you have.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro