cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Confusing Electric/Lighting Issue

BassinDmax
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a week of camping, cleaned the trailer and parked it on the side. Went out this afternoon to get a few things out and noticed the trailer floodlight on. No biggie, I must of hit the switch while cleaning the trailer. So went in to flip the switch and found it was off, but the light is just lit as bright as can be. Flip the switch on and off a few times and nothing happens, light stays on. Here's were the confusion comes in, what the heck is going on? I finally just pulled the cover and un-pluged the bulb. Would this most likely be a bad switch?

Thanks for the help with my confusion.
Tim & Mary

13 REPLIES 13

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I could help.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

BassinDmax
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
I see you have a Cougar. Is it equipped with the Wireless remote option that controls lights and levelers?

It's official, I'm an dork! Thank you Steve, yes it was the remote. I never use the remote so didn't even consider it, but your suggestion brought it all back to me. When I got the trailer parked, noticed the remote was falling off its velcro home so I pushed it back onto it and must have hit the button for the panic light.

Perfect example why I love this site, the great suggestions and common sense reminders that always help to solve our problems.
Tim & Mary

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the light stayed on after the switch is removed and a wire taken off to "open" it for sure, what could be keeping the light on?

If the switch is on the neg side and the outside lamp got water in it to close the neg side with a short? Then taking the switch wire off to open it for sure would not prove the switch is bad or good.

You would have to fix the neg short at the lamp first, then see if the two wire ends for the switch touching or not make the lamp go on and off, then put the switch in and see if it works.

You could test the switch in another location where that location's switch makes its lamp go on and off. Then if the suspect switch makes no difference there, you know it is broken.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
If you have an incandescent bulb in that location, it's possible that it is being powered by a short to ground. A meter turns up this possibility instantly.

Not if the hot wire is switched. If the hot wire is switched, it would have to be a "short to hot", and that is only likely, you guessed it, at the switch.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an incandescent bulb in that location, it's possible that it is being powered by a short to ground. A meter turns up this possibility instantly.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Likely the switch, as stated. Buy several so you have some spares. That will insure you never have to replace the switch again!;)
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
I would suspect the switch. Take one of the 2 wires off the switch and see if the light goes off. If it does, that confirms that the switch is bad.

X2
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect the switch. Take one of the 2 wires off the switch and see if the light goes off. If it does, that confirms that the switch is bad.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JMO, but every RV owner should carry a voltmeter in their camper kit and know how to use it. No sense replacing a switch if it's not faulty, which is easy to determine by probing the contacts with the voltmeter.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I see you have a Cougar. Is it equipped with the Wireless remote option that controls lights and levelers?
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

RuralAlbertan
Explorer
Explorer
The switch is most likely corroded, buy a new one they're extremely cheap and easy to replace.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming this is a 12 volt light, it most likely is a bad switch since the switch should break the positive side of the circuit so no power can reach that light with the switch off.

Now, if it was wired like the French used to do on cars and the switch breaks the ground side, then you could have a short to ground somewhere between the lamp and the switch.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, suspect worn out switch.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.