cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connecting two 50 amp service cables together?

Lowcountrydupre
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a connector that can be used to join 2 service cables together just in case the pedestal is just out of reach? I have 2 cables but both have a male end and a marine screw on female end.
15 REPLIES 15

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's too bad. It works in the case of 30 amp services.

Chris Bryant wrote:
myredracer wrote:
If you have two 50 amp shore power cords, a 50 amp 4-prong generator adapter can be used to connect the two cords together.

That's a different twist lock configuration- I don't know the NEMA number off the top of my head, but the RV inlet has 3 blades plus the shell as a ground.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
If you have two 50 amp shore power cords, a 50 amp 4-prong generator adapter can be used to connect the two cords together.

That's a different twist lock configuration- I don't know the NEMA number off the top of my head, but the RV inlet has 3 blades plus the shell as a ground.
-- Chris Bryant

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have two 50 amp shore power cords, a 50 amp 4-prong generator adapter can be used to connect the two cords together. We have a 30 amp generator adapater that we use to join two 30 amp detachable shore power cords together when we need over 25'. We always carry a spare 30 amp power cord everywhere in case one gets damaged or stolen.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I built my own 75 foot 50A cord (to reach the outlet at my Father In Laws, when were on the curb) and i use it in our storage bay so i don't have to roll up the cords every time we go out.

If you want to build your own expect to pay 4 bucks a foot for RAW 50 amp cord, in a flexible (SO/SOO) jacket with 6 ga.3 conductor - 8 ga 1 conductor (commonly referred to as 6/3-8/1).

You can buy the plug ends from camping world (and other places) - Power Grip Plug

OR you can buy a 30 foot 50A Extension Cord from camping world (and others) for 100-150 bucks

google is showing some results of 100 foot 50A (generator) extension cords for 300 bucks, but you'd have to adapt or change the ends.

Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Popsie wrote:
IIRC, HUD limits 50 amp power cord connections to a maximum of 36 and a half feet in length.

You would be very unlikely to have a HUD inspector check you hookup, but in the event of a fire, etc. damaging multiple units, a code violation noted by a fire inspector could end up with you found to be responsible.

With RVs and campgrounds I can't envision that ever being possible and even if it were I seriously doubt this would fall under any kind of code enforcement to start with. I sure would not worry about this scenario.

Now you might ruin one of your cords or the pedestal from burning up a connection, but that is a whole other issue.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I would recommend this...

Cut the cord (one of them) oh about 18-24 inches from the Marinco outlet.

Install a 50 amp female cord end (outlet) as others have suggested.

On the pigtail you just made you can install either a 50 amp plug or a 30 amp plug (This may take some doing) with BOTH Sides (Black and red, or black and black depending on the cord) to the copper screw. White to the slivery screw and we all know where green goes.

excellent suggestion. that is what I did with a 30 amp marinco fitting with a 20 amp plug so I could run a standard extension cord to the RV.
bumpy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would recommend this...

Cut the cord (one of them) oh about 18-24 inches from the Marinco outlet.

Install a 50 amp female cord end (outlet) as others have suggested.

On the pigtail you just made you can install either a 50 amp plug or a 30 amp plug (This may take some doing) with BOTH Sides (Black and red, or black and black depending on the cord) to the copper screw. White to the slivery screw and we all know where green goes.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC, HUD limits 50 amp power cord connections to a maximum of 36 and a half feet in length.

You would be very unlikely to have a HUD inspector check you hookup, but in the event of a fire, etc. damaging multiple units, a code violation noted by a fire inspector could end up with you found to be responsible.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt you have to cut- those 50 amp twist locks are not molded- they are serviceable, and expensive.
I highly recomend this Progressive Industries connector as the replacement.
-- Chris Bryant

Lowcountrydupre
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I will cut and replace.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
They do sell 50 amp extension cords for RVs.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
x3 On replacing the end and make an extension. Or, open the wallet, and buy an extension and keep the 2nd as a spare.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Cut the marine end off one of the cables and replace with a 50a female.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
you can buy a 50 amp female fitting and replace one of the marine screw ends to make a 50 amp extension cord.
bumpy