cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter breaker trips..Help company coming tonight

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all. I recently replaced my old broken converter with a progressive dynamics 4645. I followed the directions to a T. All worked well for a couple of days. That was 3 1/2 weeks ago. I just got home from work and went to fire everything up. The converter breaker was tripped and continues to trip when reset. No 12v anything working. 120v all fine. any ideas where to start.

Did I mention that company is coming tonight?

Ha.

Thank you,
Jesse
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500
17 REPLIES 17

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
JESTER7406 wrote:
Just installed my 2 6V batteries. Everything works great. I am unsure what the extra circuit wire that I DCd goes to. So far everything I can find works. I guess I will find out on the next trip.

Thanks for all of the help.
Slide out wire?

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed my 2 6V batteries. Everything works great. I am unsure what the extra circuit wire that I DCd goes to. So far everything I can find works. I guess I will find out on the next trip.

Thanks for all of the help.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK thanks . If those 12VDC batteries are reading that low on DC VOLTS they are done for sorry to say... No hope....

Something ate them up...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Are those 6VDC batteries and are you sure you have them wired in series if they are two 6VDC batteries...

If those were 6VDC batteries and you wired them in parallel a couple of days ago might be the reason the PD4645 converter croaked on you...

Roy ken

12 v batteries. connected properly before they were removed.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Heres the update.

I got it working. Batteries are out. Im pretty sure they are done for but will get to them later...

I disconnected the "utility pigtail" as described in the instructions. I am unsure what it goes to but that is the next thing to check out.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
What is your reading on the 12 volt system WITH THE BATTERY LEAD TO THE CONVERTER disconnected? The converter plugged in and working? That is your test. Don't overload the converter with too many lights on at once. Let the converter BE the battery. Take the batteries off line. Bolt all the positive wires together and tape. Same for the negative wires connected to the batteries. Ignore the series jumper cable between the two batteries.

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
How do i test the converter. I tried last night w multimeter between batt pos and batt neg on circuit board. Read 4.8v. That was with the breaker for the converter popped off.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are those 6VDC batteries and are you sure you have them wired in series if they are two 6VDC batteries...

If those were 6VDC batteries and you wired them in parallel a couple of days ago might be the reason the PD4645 converter croaked on you...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
All is not lost here.

Turn off the converter and install a known good battery. Your 12v stuff should run. Use a car battery charger until you have time to deal with the converter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You can run fine with no battery. Lift a cable off the battery and continue with your date.

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
I took the batteries out. My batt charger stated fault with them in RV. When I installed converter I gave them a good clean and charge.

The convereter still trips breaker.

Im walking away completely frustrated tonight.

In anyones optimisitc opinion is the converter still good? PD has a 2 year warranty but its prob a pain to do and I still wont have my rv for my vacation this week.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
JESTER7406 wrote:
batteries are 6.2v and 4.8v per the multimeter
Your batteries are gone. Also, you said no 12v works. Another sign of shot batteries.

What concerns me though is you said with the batteries out the converter still pukes. It *should* be ok.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You lost a cell in one battery. The converter may have burned itself out trying to charge that cell up.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
neg disconnect = no change
batteries out = no change
batteries are 6.2v and 4.8v per the multimenter

at this point im guessing either bad batteries (kirkland brand 2+ years old with my stellar maint.) or somthing left on. Or miswiring somewhere.

I lean toward the first 2 since it worked for a couple of days.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500