cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

converter problems

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
Extended camping, connected to 115vac with air conditioner running.

4th day, no AC air and all 12v lights barely illuminating. monitor panel shows batteries fully discharged.

Converter converter is a 10yr old wfco (model wf8845), rated at 45 amp.
RV is a 2007 Fleetwood Jamboree.

Started RV engine and battery monitor showed fully charged batteries. Drove 100 miles home and turned engine off and monitor still shows fully charges batteries.

P.S. Usually, when converter was charging batteries I could hear the converter fan operating. Would stop when battery charge was complete.
Heard no sound during this stay.

In fact, thru the life of this converter, the fan was always in operation even if 12v lights were turned on it would operate for period of time and then stop.

Did call mfg when I first purchased rv, but they told me this was normal operation.

Soooo is it a faulty power converter or something else??

Any suggestions appreciated.
Kennyg
22 REPLIES 22

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
One more question. Everyone recommends checking converter by connecting to 110v and then checking converter output. But I have on board generator which provides AC. Can I use generator to provide the ac power rather than removing converter and taking to a 110v separate source?
Kennyg

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
10 years on a WFCO is amazing. Get rid of it.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
In response to all your comments:
I did check all of the circuit breakers first thing Air conditioner worked after I started on -board generator.

The batteries did show full charge after I started the unit engine and drove home. They have remained charged as we speak.

The reversal of cable seems remote since I was connected to shore power and never removed or changed the connection.

Will Check fuse near battery, but if batteries show full charge after starting is this a possibility?

Have yet to do voltage checks but will do later today.

One additional question: Is converter out of charging circuit when engine or the generator is running??? If so, are bad fuses still a possibility?
Kennyg

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
He has no Air Conditioning, he has a 110 volt issue. Tripped breaker either on the supply or in the breaker box. Also a bad bad/wrong extension cord is likely.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The fuse on the WFCO circuit board is a 10 amp soldered pigtail type. Not something for novices. Even getting inside a converter poses a risk by accidentally touching the 200 volt 600 uf capacitors.

Plug it in. No output?

Recycle responsibly...

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Connect to reliable shore power and measure the output of the converter - if that reads OK then look for fuse near battery - if the converter output is zero check the fuse on the converter. If the converter output is zero and the converter fuse is Ok then replace the converter. Many use Progressive Dynamic converters.
Kevin

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do your batteries a favor and run down to walmart and buy a battery charger with 10+ amps rating. Go tonight. Even 5 amps would get you back going.

Get an extension cord too if needed. Put it right on the house battery and let it rip. No need to disconnect anything.

Assuming it is a deck mount converter a 45 amp Boondocker would be a direct replacement. I don't recommend WFCO.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-BD-1245C-45-Amp-4-Stage

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
WFCO are NOT the best converter.....marginal is more like it

1st off...check/verify that when you have 120V AC power the converter is getting AC input. (tripped Circuit breaker/loose wiring etc)

IF AC input then disconnect battery cables and measure DC output at converter DC POS and NEG terminals---on face on converter by the rack of fuses.
With AC power input the DC power out should be 13.2V DC MINIMUM. Any lower converter failing
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31