cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter Question

iski4fun
Explorer
Explorer
Good day, 1999 Fleetwood Travel Trailer 25 ft - does this rig have a converter? My interior lights were getting dim even when plugged into shore power. This prompted me to search for a converter to possibly replace because I understood a failing converter could be the culprit (due to not adequately charging the 12v). I couldn't find one, just a basic panel with 12v fuses and breakers for the 120v. I'm wondering if this rig even has a converter. Replaced 12v batteries which helps the dim lights, and I'm keeping them charged with a trickle charger. Is it possible this rig does not even have a converter and the 2 systems are separate? Note: interior lights on the 12v do not turn on at all when batteries are disconnected. Thanks, Bill
50 REPLIES 50

iski4fun
Explorer
Explorer
Where's the converter? The red wire from the B connection, above the fuses, goes out the back of the control center and exits through the floor. This is why I asked if the rig even has a converter, and also the interior lights (12v) do not work when plugged into 120 with the batteries disconnected. It seems strange that it's so hidden...and it wouldn't be outside of the rig, correct? I guess I need to follow that red wire that goes through a hole in the floor.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not sure I do not see a 30 amp fuse or a breaker for CONV on that panel. It appears that panel is just power distribution (They Call it control) I could easily find the converter eyes on but I'm in Davison MI near flint) not where you are. and How to tell you to find it. Well I'm not that good.

basically look around for any electrical boxes anywhere on the unit under beds, under fridge, in basement wherever and post your findings. the box will have both 12 and 120 volt wiring.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
iski4fun wrote:

That setup uses an external "deck mount" converter.

Your looking for a silver metal box with a 120V power cord.

That box can be right behind the panel or anywhere between the panel and the battery.

I suspect since it is a deck mount, it will be plugged into an 120V outlet and not hard wired to 120V so look at every 120V outlet under cabinets.

Good news is you are not locked into buying a replacement that is designed for your enclosure and you can shop for a good deal..

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
It is likely behind the panel so take it off the wall. Just unplug from shore power and if you want disconnect the battery too then you will be completely dead with no chance of shorting anything. My coach has a similar mounting and the converter is behind my panel. I have to replace the factory WFCO after only 3 years in a 2017 unit. Easy job to do yourself.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
iski4fun wrote:
Pics uploaded now - the panel assembly pictured sits inches off the deck - nothing is below it. Is the converter part of this entire assembly? Would it be connected to that thick red wire which I assume is 12v positive from the batteries? I've pulled this assembly out and haven't seen an obvious converter. Thanks!

You have the Model 80 which is just the AC and DC panels. Your converter will be mounted somewhere else. Could likely be a PD 9100 deck mount behind or near that panel.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Parallax-80D-30-Amp-ACDC-Distribution-Panel_p_86.html#.X7r_x-mSm44

www.bestconverter.com/9100-Series-Deck-Mount_c_39.html
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
duplicate
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

iski4fun
Explorer
Explorer
Pics uploaded now - the panel assembly pictured sits inches off the deck - nothing is below it. Is the converter part of this entire assembly? Would it be connected to that thick red wire which I assume is 12v positive from the batteries? I've pulled this assembly out and haven't seen an obvious converter. Thanks!

iski4fun
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer II
Explorer II
This may help

Follow the wire from the "B" connection above the fuses or the positive cable from the battery. If there is a converter it will be connected to them.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

iski4fun
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all the quick replies - great forum, Working on posting pics...

iski4fun
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer II
Explorer II
This may help

Follow the wire from the "B" connection above the fuses or the positive cable from the battery. If there is a converter it will be connected to them.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
iski4fun wrote:
Good day, 1999 Fleetwood Travel Trailer 25 ft - does this rig have a converter? My interior lights were getting dim even when plugged into shore power. This prompted me to search for a converter to possibly replace because I understood a failing converter could be the culprit (due to not adequately charging the 12v). I couldn't find one, just a basic panel with 12v fuses and breakers for the 120v. I'm wondering if this rig even has a converter. Replaced 12v batteries which helps the dim lights, and I'm keeping them charged with a trickle charger. Is it possible this rig does not even have a converter and the 2 systems are separate? Note: interior lights on the 12v do not turn on at all when batteries are disconnected. Thanks, Bill

You found it I suspect. You said "Just a basic panel with 12 volt fuses and Circuit breakers" In Every RV I have been in that has a panel like that the converter is behind the panel.. What is the make/model of the panel.. Two common makes are Parallax and WFCO.

The Parallax 7300 (note spelling may be off) is an intergrated SINGLE stage converter/fuse/breaker panel. 7300T is a two stage. NOTE I say 7300 but it's 73xx with the xx being the max output.

WFCO is a 3 stage with a high failure rate but it should still float. Just not Bulk charge.

Also check for one or more 30 amp fuses. they may be blown.. if so unplug for a few minutes. then replace ALL the 30 amp fuses and plug back in
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

iski4fun
Explorer
Explorer
It's a MagnaTek Electrical Control Center MODEL 80
11 12v circuits and 4 breakers
If the converter is good would the interior lights in the coach work when the battery is disconnected - that is what has me confused.
I've had that front cover off and couldn't find the converter...not sure what to remove/replace. Thank you.