cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

deep cycle battery suggestions

Cstoliker
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a cost effective deep cycle battery for my RV that's got a rating around 200AH. Something that can run lights and TV (off an inverter) at night for manny hours and that can take a charge fast. Upwards of 45 amp at 15volts. I guess that limits me to lead/acid or possibly AGM.
Like to hear some opinions on what brand gives the best quality per dollar.
50 REPLIES 50

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Gr8life wrote:
I read these threads and have one foolish question. While I get the superiority of six volt batteries, why doesn't anyone mention that 12 volt batteries make expansion easier and possibly cheaper? If you can't get by with one? Add a second. Still not enough? Buy a third. Not everyone needs to go from two to four when going from two to three might meet their requirements. I am not saying three twelve's equal six sixes.

"POPCORN! PEANUTS!"

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I just wish that the RV manufacturers would start making more room for battery banks...Our Class C only has room for 2 batteries.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
I read these threads and have one foolish question. While I get the superiority of six volt batteries, why doesn't anyone mention that 12 volt batteries make expansion easier and possibly cheaper? If you can't get by with one? Add a second. Still not enough? Buy a third. Not everyone needs to go from two to four when going from two to three might meet their requirements. I am not saying three twelve's equal six sixes.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
hmmm we are sitting at 200 ah with our 2 group 27's...guess I shouldn't go out and make a change yet...wait for these to crash first..
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cstoliker wrote:
Upwards of 45 amp at 15volts. I guess that limits me to lead/acid or possibly AGM.
You sure that's a good idea?

What other choice of battery are you considering?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
I've got four Fullriver DC220-6 AGM batteries. Best $1100 I've spent.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Always remember no matter the brand, Sam's & Costco batteries are mfg to their specs and not the same quality as the mfgs sell @ their own stores. Kinda like their tires. Big box stores are exempt from the 4 yr law. Always read the date code on the tires.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

Cstoliker
Explorer
Explorer
i'm not too worried about the microwave.

SAMs Club here I come

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The "kicker" with flooded GC220'S is their limited CCA and recharge rate. Or I'll put it another way in the form of a question: How many of you have (6) cells of golf car batteries an 1,100 watt microwave and inverter and are satisfied with the microwave run time? Can you bake a couple of large potatoes?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last month I put in a pair of Interstate 6v golf cart batteries at 208 amp hours.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Jozzieo
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful buying the Trojan batteries, they have many AH rating batteries. I found Sam's did not have the 220AH in my area, they were under 200, can't remember exactly, maybe 190?? I went to a battery shop and was able to buy a 240AH battery (got 6 of them) with the same footprint as the 220 for not much more $$
Jim and Sue Osbern,
08 Ford Super Duty 3/4 PSD 4x4 lariat Crew Cab. '07 3400RL Montana, Maytag's with 220 dryer, Satdome, Rear A/C unit, Digital amp Gage, Vena tank monitor, Rear camera, 3,000W. Inv, Roto chocks, air bags My Mod's

westend
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
The amp hours for the golf cart batteries (210-230) is that per battery? Or is that for the 2 connected together? Or is it the same no matter what?
When connected in series, voltage adds, amperage stays the same so 2x6V batteries at 220AH when connected in series will have a reserve of 220AH.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
The amp hours for the golf cart batteries (210-230) is that per battery? Or is that for the 2 connected together? Or is it the same no matter what?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The most popular lead acid battery is the GC-2 Golf Car battery, this is a six volt, DEEP CYCLE with a capacity of around 210-230 amp hours at the C/20 rate,, some go higher.

Since this battery is so popular. The cost per unit is lower than other lead acid batteries. so it gives you the most 'Bang for your buck' as it were.

Sams is likely the lowest cost supplier, Followed by Costco.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Glass mats in flooded golf car batteries are thick fiberglass. A major reason why these batteries have good ampere hour capacity but poor CCA capability for high discharges like powering a microwave oven. Four AGM GC batteries will deliver 2,500 watts of inverter power for quite a stretch of time. Be sure to check positive plate thickness and settle for nothing thinner than .095". If a manufacturer refuses to furnish that data, they are trying to pawn off substandard batteries. Check and compare weight as well. Some AGM manufacturers are flakier than Grandma's rhubarb pie crust.