cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did I Burn my Air Conditioning, Microwave, & Fridge?

LivingOntheLam
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to the RV world. Just finished a trip to Arizona and used a heavy duty 50ft extension Cord my dad gave me with a 15amp to 30amp adapter & surge protector designed for rv. The protector showed an open neutral but it was hot out & I used it over night. I pluged it into my friends garage wall outlet. I ran the air conditioning & fridge & briefly used the microwave. When I got home I realized it was the extension cord that was causing the open neutral. The appliances still all work but do you think i compromised their life expectancy? I am definatly going to buy a 30amp extension.

โš Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★"?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to posting issues with Open Roads Forum sites, member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using this forum for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT
8 REPLIES 8

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Where's a guy even buy a 6ga extension cord? 10 gauge is fine for 50', that's what a 30a RV cord will be.

LivingontheLam, you are fine if everything still works. Open neutrals are dangerous, more so for humans than appliances. Sounds like the cord was well grounded so you had a good circuit even though the neutral was open.

Yes 10 gauge, I stand corrected. Not enough coffee yet I guess.
Brian

LivingOntheLam
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys for all the quick and informative responses. That gives me piece of mind that I didn't damage anything. I'll never do that again. I can already tell this is a great group and im going to learn a lot. This is my first post to this form so im sorry if I didn't do it right. I drove 14hrs and it was 6am so i was exhausted & stressed about the potential power problem. I did update my info. I'm loving the V6 Sprinter turbo Desil and the mpg of the Desil #2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Open neutral is a concern on a 50 amp pedestal.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
You would've popped a circuit breaker in your RV if there was an issue.

No, a CB will not protect against an open ground.

OP, since everything ran OK I don't think any damage was done. Had you applied 240V to it everything would be fried quickly.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where's a guy even buy a 6ga extension cord? 10 gauge is fine for 50', that's what a 30a RV cord will be.

LivingontheLam, you are fine if everything still works. Open neutrals are dangerous, more so for humans than appliances. Sounds like the cord was well grounded so you had a good circuit even though the neutral was open.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
A 50 foot cord less than 6 gauge wire is to small for air. The wall outlet in the garage is most likely only a 20 amp. outlet. You want to be plugged into a 30 amp. outlet and running proper cord when using the air conditioner. Get an RV 30 amp. extension cord if needed for running air, and plug into a 30 amp recepticle.
Brian

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If everything is working I don't think you damaged anything or shortened the life expectancy of your appliances.

Consider putting your RV info in your profile, maybe another member has a similar unit and can furnish better information.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You would've popped a circuit breaker in your RV if there was an issue.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE