cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did you seal outside vents after Residential refer install?

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of completing the install of a residential refrigerator. Trying to decide if I am going to seal the vents on the outside removable panel. Pretty much decided to leave the roof vent alone.

To seal or leave open - That is the question.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox
17 REPLIES 17

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I completely sealed off the lower vent and left 1/4 of the top vent open, vents are both on side of trailer. Under the front of the fridge I have a 1 1/2" gap that I put a vent cover over. The fridge can draw in cooler air from the inside and vent the heat out of the top vent. Seams to be working well. I used Gorilla tape to seal the inside of my vents.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I custom tailored my vents to provide the ultimate in convection. The register at floor level and left the original stack flue vent. One of the things that works well is to put a very very very low CFM 120vac muffin fan blowing upwards from the bottom of the condenser. It reduced my 24vdc daily amp hour consumption by >10% and that ain't peanuts. It would do similarly with AC kWh. Less compressor run time.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I sealed mine. You should end up with enough free air space around the coils of the fridge to allow cooling. Some of that is dependent on the model of fridge you have and clearances involved. Leaving the stack vent open on the top will surely ventilate the space. If it was mine, I'd probably close that up or restrict the opening. I do some camping in the Winter so having a big opening anywhere isn't a good thing.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton