cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disconnect/Shut off converter when inverter is on

storyarc
Explorer
Explorer
I recently got 600W of solar, two 12V 100ah gel batteries, 40amp charge controller, and 2500W inverter installed on my travel trailer. The guy who installed the system disabled charging via the converter so it wouldnโ€™t create a loop when my inverter is on. He did this because there was no switch to physically turn off the charger when I want to turn on the inverter.

The problem is that Iโ€™m currently in Oregon and solar input is seriously low. Weโ€™re at a campground and our batteries are almost dead because thereโ€™s very little sunlight and charging via the 30 amp shore power is disabled.

1) How do I add a breaker/switch for the charger to my electrical panel so I can charge my batteries with shore power when my inverter is off?

2) I have a 35 amp converter charger. Can I just get a 35 amp breaker and have it installed?
40 REPLIES 40

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
20ldman,

The "Genius" charger claims to remove sulphation. Lots of folks drink that Kool-aid.

By charging very slowly at least the OP won't get voids in the gel.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
storyarc wrote:
The trickle charger seems to be doing the job of slowly charging and, if necessary, repairing the batteries.
Why did you choose a very slow charger?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

storyarc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. We ended up getting a battery maintainer (trickle charger) to top up the batteries while weโ€™re here at the Oregon campground and have shore power. This is the model we chose: NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LWVEKS...

We hooked it up yesterday afternoon. Our batteries were under 25%. We woke up with the batteries at 64%. Normally, since arriving in Oregon, we wake to find the batteries dead or nearly dead. The trickle charger seems to be doing the job of slowly charging and, if necessary, repairing the batteries. Iโ€™ll report back if anything changes.

Thanks!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
In any event, Gel may not be an ideal choice for an RV.
Very strange installation.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trojan says to use 10-13% of C20 to recharge Gels

C20 is the AH capacity using the 20 hr rate (which is a discharge rate of 5% of capacity, C/20--capacity divided by 20 )

So the OP's two 100s would be recharged at 20-26 amps, max. If they were AGMs that would be 20% of C20 or 40 amps.

AFAIK, discharge and recharge limits are the same to allow time for the chemical reaction in the battery, but not sure on that. If so, then max inverter draw on the two Gels would be with a 260w 120v appliance, or 520w with four of those 100AH Gels

However we usually say you need about 440AH to run a microwave which is say 140 amps, so that is 140/440 = 32%, and recharging AGM or Flooded batts at 32% is allowed. My AGMs do say 27-30% though.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The quote does not include discharge rates, only recharging rates.

In any event, Gel may not be an ideal choice for an RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had to edit earlier post about PT's quote re C/20 charging rate for Gels. C/20 is the 20 hr rate. Got confused with ?? C.20 ?? as the 20% charging rate??? All a muddle now ๐Ÿ˜ž

Anyway, if it is the 20 hr rate that is 5 amps per 100 AH so charging/discharging limit on two 100AH gels would be 10 amps! That does not seem right? With four your inverter limit would be only 200w of 120 appliances.
Photo in Profile

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I assume the WFCO is fine to give the battery a boost when solar is weak.
General charging will be solar and should be programmed to match the battery charging specs.
A third charger is not needed.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi BFL13,

What is "LY"?

Scroll down to landyacht318's post

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30025966/gotomsg/30026947.cfm#30026947
Photo in Profile

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi BFL13,

What is "LY"?
Regards, Don

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP says, "Thereโ€™s no breaker labeled โ€œCONโ€. Thereโ€™s only one labeled MAIN and another labeled GENERAL. Donโ€™t know what that means. If I donโ€™t have one, can I just have a breaker for the converter installed? I have two open slots for additional breakers in the converter. The model is made by WFCO and model number is WF-8935AN with plastic"

That AC panel has one MAIN and up to five branch circuits are allowed among its four branch breakers--so one can be a twin eg.

OP says he has one branch marked GENERAL, so that leaves three slots, but he says there are only two empty. ?

Meanwhile, everything is now on the one breaker. Lights, fridge on AC, receptacles. So no air conditioner? No microwave? (but he has one) Likely has a water heater that is only propane, but if it does have 120v ?

Poor OP is already full-timing so somebody got him off on the wrong foot for sure.
Photo in Profile

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something's not right here. We don't know the make/model of inverter, an installer puts in gel batteries, and totally disables the converter.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
LY says those Schumachers do crazy voltages without warning, so IMO another brand would be less risky for Gels.
Photo in Profile

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The short answer is "No".

The longer answer is "it depends".

For me, the answer would be "No".

The smaller one might be safe for charging both Gel's at once (or it might cook them).

storyarc wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Buy a automotive charger with a gel setting and use it when you've got shore or gen power.

Would this charger work?
Regards, Don