cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do RV Batteries Freeze in the Winter?

Big_C
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased four 6volt AGM Lifeline GPL-4CT batteries last fall. For twenty years we have driven down to Mexico for the winter. As Canadians we will have to stay home because of the Canada/US border likely remaining closed for a few more months. We have no idea what to do with our batteries. No one is saying that they won't freeze, they might not or they might not.

Here in our area of B.C. it can get down to -30C/-22F for one - two weeks maximum and some years not so cold. We are forecast to have a colder winter this year. What have any of you done here in Canada or the northern US done with your sealed batteries? Should we take them out or leave them in?
the 5C's
Big C & Mamma C
2 little c's (weiner dogs)
2001,39' RoseAir (Rexhall) DP with 2 slides
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
contessajewall,com
30 REPLIES 30

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Big C wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. Sadly we will be parked outside in a storage lot with no source for electricity. Even worse our generator was left in Mazatlan ( as it was being repaired ) when we left mid March so can't even use that.

then i'd pull them and put them on a battery minder in your garage/shed.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
The OP stated they are AGM batteries. If fully charged then disconnected, they should keep a near full charge. The AGM battery in my Corvette sat from mid October 19 till after memorial day 2020. It started the car easily.

mark

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
Ensure they are fully charged, then disconnect the terminals (mark first) and you will be fine. Also be sure to check the fluid levels in the cells before charging them up.

My batteries are fully charged in the late fall then disconnected and left until early spring when they get recharged. They lose less than 10% charge outside in the 7 months of winter.
They are now 8 years old and still going strong.

Big_C
Explorer
Explorer
Specific question to FLY 4 FUN, so you just let the batteries sit in your RV for the winter after charging and disconnecting? FYI ours are AGM, sealed batteries.
the 5C's
Big C & Mamma C
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
contessajewall,com

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Ensure they are fully charged, then disconnect the terminals (mark first) and you will be fine. Also be sure to check the fluid levels in the cells before charging them up.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

cdru
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Northern Minnesota. I fully charge the batteries, leave them in our travel trailer,disconected, all winter. Our pontoon boat with two batteries is treated the same. Never had a battery freeze in over twenty years! Cdru

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
TenOC wrote:
Big C wrote:
Sadly we will be parked outside in a storage lot with no source for electricity..
Then store them in a warm place, but not directly on concrete. Why not on concrete, I do not know but have always been told to not store batteries directly on concrete.
Only reason with a modern battery is you might stain the concrete. Put some wood down if needed.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can an RV deep cycle battery freeze? YES! Per Trojan at https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/faq/#Maintenance

"The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92ºF."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Bummer for sure.
Looking like 2 choices.
Borrow/buy a small generator or take the batteries out.

Big_C
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like we will have to take out the batteries. We are okay with that but can they not just sit or do they have to be charged with a trickle charger? We plan to put them under the house in the crawl space which is quite warm. Right now it is 34F outside and 59F under the house.
the 5C's
Big C & Mamma C
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
contessajewall,com

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Solar would be perfect but not if it snows...

Take the batteries out and put them on a $12 trickle charger in your garage, or somewhere that is warmer than outside.
It is a hassle, but your batts will last longer. Right now your situation means that every season you will start with dead useless batteries that you have to take out and replace. Better to take out, keep charged, then put back in. Same number of steps but you do not spend money on new batts every year.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Big C wrote:
Sadly we will be parked outside in a storage lot with no source for electricity..

Then store them in a warm place, but not directly on concrete. Why not on concrete, I do not know but have always been told to not store batteries directly on concrete.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Big_C
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick response. Sadly we will be parked outside in a storage lot with no source for electricity. Even worse our generator was left in Mazatlan ( as it was being repaired ) when we left mid March so can't even use that.
the 5C's
Big C & Mamma C
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
contessajewall,com

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Fully charged battery freezes somewhere around -70 and -90 degrees. Best to stay plugged in and charged.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
They freeze UNLESS fully charged so keep them charged like your car battery.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos