cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Americana Power

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
After shutting down my model RM 2862, the unit will not come back on. I defrosted the unit and it was off for several days. Now there is no power to the display board or to the inside lamp. I have check both fuses and connections seem seem secure.

Is there a way that I can check out the two circuit boards myself, before taking them to an RV dealer technician?

Thanks for any ideas.
18 REPLIES 18

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Red wire goes from the 12 volt input plastic block---to the Thermal Disc on the Flue cover--then the Flame thermal fuse wire goes on the other side of that disc to J4 of the Control board. Originally, J4 was connected direct to the Positive input plastic block by a short 6 inch wire. Now it goes across to the Flue cover and then thru the Temp disc then the Flame Diode and then to J4. Doug

PS, I still think your original board is good, you do not understand the Red wires and the Flame and Thermal disc. If I am correct, your new board will not fire up.

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
Dougrainer, thanks for your timely reply this morning. New terminal block arrived this afternoon and I am anxious to get the new board hooked up.

#2: I DID have an ice maker, but removed it. So, you were probably right on with your answer. I am not replacing the rectangular piece with the red, blue, and black wire at this time.

I have finished transferring all wires to the new board now, however, I can't remember where the red wires from the thermofuse go. I did take photos before I took everything apart, but apparently missed these two connections. I believe one red goes to a hot battery lead (terminal block). does the other red wire go to the panel? There is an in line fuse on one wire. I'm not so sure that both wires were going to hot? Does this sound correct? Much of this wiring was jury rigged making a bird's nest of everything. Plus, a couple tubing lines run right in front of the board, further aggravating things?

Sorry, but I couldn't get the picture deal figured out.

Will be awaiting your reply, Thanks!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There are 2 things it can be.
1. It has a 12 volt fan and the round device is the tstat
2. You have an Icemaker and it is the control for the COLD weather heater that heats the water line to the icemaker--most likely.
A pic would help if you can figure out how to post. Doug

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
I took a chance on the lower circuit board being faulty and ordered a Dinosaur Exact Replacement. All of the existing wires clipped right up to the new board. However, I do have a question about an electronic device that was glued to the cover of the original black box cover. It has three wires; red (goes up the back to the upper board?), blue to a independent round device , and black to ground. What is this rectangular thing? A new one did not come secured to the new Dinosaur cover box and there were no installation instructions. Am I correct to assume that I need to re-connect this as it was previously. I just want to be careful and not burn up this new purchase.

I was going to attach a few pics, but I don't see way to do it. Prior assistance is appreciated and I will be grateful for further advice.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Very good pics of the recall and wiring. Doug

http://www.imagestr.co/dometic-refrigerator-recall/

PS, The Thermal fuse is NOT located in the correct spot on this pic.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wiring Diagram

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is NO fuse behind the burner. If you are talking about that black encased looking thing behind the burner that is the Flame burn fusable link. NOT a fuse. If you found that snap disc with the 2 red wires on the burner metal case, just jump those 2 wires. If the refer powers up that disc is either bad because it IS bad, or the refer overheated due to a ventilation problem or a BAD cooling unit. Doug

PS The Thermal snap disc have 2 models. 1 model has a resettable red button, the other does not. They both do the same thing

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
johnnydp1 wrote:
(Thermal Fuse is 'resettable'....button in middle/push in---if tripped NO DC)

**I could not find a 'thermal' fuse on the rear board. However, there are two smaller white wires coming from a plug where the schemetic says the 'thermistor' is. I chased and lost them between the rear wall and tube steel. I checked the display board and couldn't see that they terminated there. (I'm not familiar with a thermistor, but I did find two devices on the display board labeled SW3 and SW4 which resembled some kind of switch, and pressed each one with no reactions.

Also, the two white wires I mentioned appear to go into the ref. and attach to one of the cooling 'fins'.

White wires....cooling fins etc
That is for the temp sensing......thermistor

Thermal Fuse.......
On burner stack
DC from terminal block goes to it then from it to circuit board
It is a overheat temp sensor
When it opens if stops DC to fridge
Can be reset by pushing in the button in the middle of the disc

No DC at J2??

did you have DC at J4?
Did you have DC on both sides of that 3A fuse on circuit board??

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer

**I could not find a 'thermal' fuse on the rear board. However, there are two smaller white wires coming from a plug where the schemetic says the 'thermistor' is. I chased and lost them between the rear wall and tube steel. I checked the display board and couldn't see that they terminated there. (I'm not familiar with a thermistor, but I did find two devices on the display board labeled SW3 and SW4 which resembled some kind of switch, and pressed each one with no reactions.

Also, the two white wires I mentioned appear to go into the ref. and attach to one of the cooling 'fins'.

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit, I just realized what you were referring to 'stack fuse'. I think that I did try pushing it in before - will try again.

Sorry. At 68 my thinker is slowing down ๐Ÿ™‚

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Your unit may have the Recall done. That recall involved adding 2 temp systems to the burner area, 1. is a snap disc on the burner metal round cover and the other is a flame thermistor mounted on the back of the refer wall behind the burner. IF either has failed you will not get power to the Circuit board. WHERE are you measuring the 12 volt power at? 120 means nothing, the refer power functions operates off 12 volts. There are 2 fuses on the Circuit board. 1 fuse will have 12 volts and the other is the 120 fuse for the 120 heat element. Doug

Dougrainer,

I can't see a thermistor device to check out. You say it's behind the burner, if present, how do I get to it?

There is a fuse (seperate from the 2 board fuses) in a red wire going behind the burner tin encasing. Fuse is good.

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
On backside of fridge is a terminal block where 12V DC +/- wires connect from your DC Dist Panel Fused Circuit
GOT 12V DC +/- there?

**Yes, Terminal Block has 13-14 DC vlts.

12V DC + goes from terminal block to stack thermal fuse then to circuit board at J4 terminal
Got 12V DC + at J4?

**No DC at J4.

12V DC + at J4 (J10 DC -)

**NO DC

3A Fuse....

**Good

Got 12V DC both sides of that fuse?

**YES

J2 is 12V DC + to interior light switch and the climate control heater switch

**No current at J2.

Thanks Old-Biscuit for your input!

Old-Biscuit wrote:
On backside of fridge is a terminal block where 12V DC +/- wires connect from your DC Dist Panel Fused Circuit
GOT 12V DC +/- there?

**Yes, Terminal Block has 13-14 DC vlts.

12V DC + goes from terminal block to stack thermal fuse then to circuit board at J4 terminal
Got 12V DC + at J4?

**No DC at J4.

**NO DC

3A Fuse....

**Good

**YES

**No current at J2.

Thanks Old-Biscuit for your input!

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks dougrainer and Old=Biscuit. Just saw posts and will reply after inspect the MH frig.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GOT 12V DC +/- there?

YES.....
Got 12V DC + at J4?

3A Fuse....