cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic CCII Control Board for Penquin II

Roadgypsie2020
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, new here to the forum. One of my roof AC units quit. It doesn't do anything. I measured voltage on the board (115VAC) but nothing coming out of the board. The board has P/N 3312227.000 on it.

Anyone have a schematic of the board or know how to troubleshoot this board?

It seems like there may be a shortage on the board as no one seems to have one in stock.

Any help is appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

Roadgypsie2020
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, thanks for your input. I REALLY appreciate it!

So I changed the 2 RJ-11 couplers and all is well. I also changed the 2nd unit that was on Zone 1 and set it to Zone 3. Now it is working the way I wanted. I just stagger Zone 3 to be a degree higher than Zone 1 so Zone 3 only kicks on when Zone 1 can't keep up. No more toggling breakers!

Now to answer your questions.

I only have 1 CCC2 Thermostat.

No only the rear AC on Zone 1 would come on. Zone 2 was fine.

So I will take your advice and check/change the other connectors on the other 2 AC units when we get back from our Talladega trip next week.

Also noticed some duct work taping I plan to do to seal up the plenums better. This is a ducted system.

Again, thanks for your help! You are the man!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Roadgypsie2020 wrote:
Doug. I found something in the manual that explains my setup. In the Special Features Section the subject is Stage Select.

Stage Select - Two Air Conditioner/Heat Pump Units (Select Models) On 1 Zone

It won't let me post the entire paragraph due to some type of strange formatting of that section but it describes how mine is set up.

Learn something new every day.

I was going to ask if you had 2 CCC wall tstats, but yeas the EXT will suffice for YOUR set up. So, to get back to your problem. Do BOTH (EXT)connected on Zone 1 AC units come ON and it is the Zone 2 that is NOT coming on? While I remember the EXT, make note that I have NEVER in 25 years of CCC control, had any OEM utilize that feature. That is why I never posted about this possible. How close are the 2 AC units to each other on the roof? Unless they are within 5 feet of each other it makes NO SENSE to use the EXT function to control. BUT, the BAD of it is, YOU have to kill the breaker. Like 99 99/100 of all CCC installs, it gives the RV'er the option of just turning any AC off at the tstat, istead of killing a breaker. That bad idea of this is, you are pulling about 27 to 30 qmps of service when both are running and this limits your options unless you kill the breaker for one. Since I have never had to utilize or even see an EXT used, I have no technical knowledge of the parameters of this system. Still, since Zone 2 is not working, I would do what you are going to do, replace the modular connections. Remember, you need to check all 3 AC modular connections just to make sure you don't have a potential problem later. Doug

Roadgypsie2020
Explorer
Explorer
Doug. I found something in the manual that explains my setup. In the Special Features Section the subject is Stage Select.

Stage Select - Two Air Conditioner/Heat Pump Units (Select Models) On 1 Zone

It won't let me post the entire paragraph due to some type of strange formatting of that section but it describes how mine is set up.

Learn something new every day.

Roadgypsie2020
Explorer
Explorer
I am the original owner. It has always been just 2 zones. And has worked this way since new.

Yes the CCC2 does show both zones.

When Zone 1 calls for cool, both units come on. When I only want 1 AC to come on in Zone 1, I flip the circuit breaker off. (Labeled AC3) I am pretty sure all Cedar Creeks are wired this way when they have 3 AC units. At least from 2016 to present.

The DIP switch for this unit (2nd AC Zone 1) is set to EXT Stage.

I figured they did it this way so they could use the Wall Thermostat for both ACs in Zone 1?

I do have a remote sensor in the bedroom for Zone 2.

I did find 2 inline RJ-11 couplers and some CRC Electronic cleaner today. I will replace them tomorrow and try first to clean the contacts on the RJ-11 connectors.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
3. Does the CCC2 show a display for BOTH Zones? Or does the AC that is inop has no Zone display?

The inop is the 2nd AC on Zone 1. I have 2 Zones but 3 ACs. Display is normal.
This is in a 2017 Cedar Creek.

WRONG!. If you have 3 AC units you have 3 zones. So, if you do not have Zones 1/2/3 showing you have a problem. Usually when you have a 5th wheel, Zone 1 is the Main living room, BUT NOT always the case. ON each AC control board will be DIP switches. So, you flip the DIP switch for Zone 2 on 1 AC and DIP switch 3 for the third AC. Now, as a temp sensor. Ideally you have the remote sensors. BUT, if the CCC2 is located on a wall that will sense the interior temp for that Zone, IT can be a temp sensor and then you only have to run a remote temp sensors for the other zones. I have never seen or even know if you can connect 2 Dometic AC units together on one Zone. IF you do, then you get a COM error on the wall tstat. Since it sees 2 AC control boards. I have 25 years of servicing the Dometic CCC system, ever since it came out. Are you the original owner? YES, all 3 AC units are daisy chained. In my previous post, you would have a COM cable from the 2nd to 3rd AC unit.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Doug, I tried to follow your description got a bit lost. Are there two cables one for each AC? Can he just swap those cables as a test before cutting and splicing a new end onto the existing cable?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Roadgypsie2020
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, thanks for the reply!

1. CCC2
2. You need to add more info

OK. See below.

3. Does the CCC2 show a display for BOTH Zones? Or does the AC that is inop has no Zone display?

The inop is the 2nd AC on Zone 1. I have 2 Zones but 3 ACs. Display is normal.
This is in a 2017 Cedar Creek.

4. It is extremely RARE for a CCC2 wall tstat and upper AC board to be defective.

I hope that is the case.

5. The CONTROLS are 12 volt, NOT 120 volt. So, most common problem on CCC2 systems is lack of communication for the Inop Zone. AND, most common failure is corroded Communication cable quick connect ends.

OK. I did see those. I will see if I can find them locally today. Might be tomorrow before I get them replaced due to rain here today.
I also saw an unused wire with a connector. I think it was 2 wires in a plug. Is that likely for a remote temp sensor? I was always thinking it would be nice to put that unit on a separate zone.

6. The COM cables use RJ22 modular ends and use a standard 4 wire flat Phone TYPE cable. But NOT wired like a phone cable. You cannot use a standard prebuilt phone cable to test. The ends on a COM cable the wires are reversed.

OK.

7. Most common failure of a Penguin COM cable is corrosion where the ends are plugged in, in front of the evaporator due to the moist environment. There are 2 COM wire cables plugged into the upper board. Then those 2 wires go about 18 inches and are connected with a quick connect splice at the evaporator area. IF when you check, I always cut off and replace the RJ11 connections(all of them on the zone). Takes 5 minutes and that removes a bad connection and usually the corrosion will be very evident.

OK. Been a long time since I used any of those. I will see if I still have my tool. Any suggestions on connectors? Better ones to look for?

8. BOTH roof AC units have this com cable between them. So you need to check the operating AV Com cables also. Usual connection is --Wall tstat to Zone 1, then a Com Cable to Zone 2. That is why each AC control boards have 2 Modular connections. Doug

Since I have 3 AC units, Are all 3 usually daisy chained together? I have 2 ACs on Zone 1 in the main living area. Zone 2 is bedroom.
Are there diagrams anywhere that show this detail?
Thank you much!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. CCC2
2. You need to add more info
4. It is extremely RARE for a CCC2 wall tstat and upper AC board to be defective.
5. The CONTROLS are 12 volt, NOT 120 volt. So, most common problem on CCC2 systems is lack of communication for the Inop Zone. AND, most common failure is corroded Communication cable quick connect ends.
6. The COM cables use RJ22 modular ends and use a standard 4 wire flat Phone TYPE cable. But NOT wired like a phone cable. You cannot use a standard prebuilt phone cable to test. The ends on a COM cable the wires are reversed.
7. Most common failure of a Penguin COM cable is corrosion where the ends are plugged in, in front of the evaporator due to the moist environment. There are 2 COM wire cables plugged into the upper board. Then those 2 wires go about 18 inches and are connected with a quick connect splice at the evaporator area. IF when you check, I always cut off and replace the RJ11 connections(all of them on the zone). Takes 5 minutes and that removes a bad connection and usually the corrosion will be very evident.
8. BOTH roof AC units have this com cable between them. So you need to check the operating AV Com cables also. Usual connection is --Wall tstat to Zone 1, then a Com Cable to Zone 2. That is why each AC control boards have 2 Modular connections. Doug