cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Frig Help

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Help, Help! We are set to take off Tuesday morning. Just got the trailer back from the shop on Saturday and we're busy loading. Went to turn on the frig and it won't light. We're not on shore power and no way to do that. We got new propane tanks but otherwise nothing was done to the gas system. There is power to the frig and propane is on and flowing since after a few minutes wait the stove lit. We turn the frig on, on auto and we can hear the clicking outside with little "bursts" of sound but it doesn't catch and goes back to clicking. We've been at this awhile with no progress and don't know what else to try. Help!

Bob
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier
17 REPLIES 17

Deckape
Explorer
Explorer
Hurrah! enjoy the trip!
I Yam What I Yam, If Ya don't like it Look Away

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for letting us know how it was resolved. Simple and inexpensive is always the preferred outcome. :C
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Final answer: Thanks to all who tried to help. The simple problem was that, in fact, the igniter is the thermocouple and it was not far enough into the flame to get hot enough to keep the gas valve open. Took to dealer, 10 minutes, no charge. Leaving for South and then West in the AM.

Bob
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Take a wire brush and clean the build up off of the igniter.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
MainerBob wrote:
... Good spark and then brief blue flame and then out. ...

As robsouth said, themocouple. If the thermocouple doesn't "see" a flame the gas valve closes. On many older units there is a seperate thermocouple, on newer unis the igniter senses the flame.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Thermocouple? Just a thought.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Did you clean out the burner? They get filled with crud.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who are trying to help me. This morning I called Dometic and they advised me to just keep cycling it until the gas flow was steady. I did that a few more times with no change so I disconnected the igniter and removed the gas pressure test plug. This allowed a higher gas flow to purge the line. Hooked everything back up and cycled the on/off switch but there was still no change. Good spark and then brief blue flame and then out. Tomorrow I will have it back to my dealer first thing. Does anyone think it could be the circuit board? The frig is only 5 years old. I have electricity, spark and gas flow.

Bob
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Other thing I can think of is the battery. If it drops below 9-10 volts, the refrigerator control board will not ignite, and it will turn on the check light.

Deckape
Explorer
Explorer
Did you look for a Reset button? Some models of Dometics have one, usually Red in color. Good luck.
I Yam What I Yam, If Ya don't like it Look Away

ferretgrandpa
Explorer
Explorer
Does the 'flu' have a blockage? A can of air will move spiderwebs out. Seems you have power to the unit (clicking ,etc), so next is a blockage.
Medical reasons took us off the road
98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the fuse? It is in the little black plastic box at the base of the fridge in the back... open the vent cover on the outside and you should see it.
Kathy

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I read that you already lit the stove and it worked, so there is flowing propane. Might just take a few more than usual tries since the tanks were replaced. I assume that you know that the tanks are full?
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
Did it light yet???

I agree with all of the above-and you'll have to manually switch it back and forth as it eventually gives up the gas...
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X