Dometic Refer Recall - Possible Fire Hazard -Update 2/13/07

MELM
Explorer
Explorer
Click here to go directly to Updates.
Update Number 1 Nov 23, 2006
Update Number 2 Dec 5, 2006
Update Number 3 Jan 10, 2007
Update Number 4 Jan 19, 2007 - Recall Instructions - click here: Dometic Recall You need your model and serial numbers.
Update Number 5 Feb 13, 2007 - Added links to new info on the NHTSA website including the info/form for claiming reimbursement for a failure. These are at the end of the post below where all the updates are posted.

Also, edited the below Recall to include the change made prior to the Dec 5 update showing the proposed remedy.

Below is information from the NHTSA website on a recall of certain Dometic refrigerators. This recall is in its very early stages, and there is no resolution in place as of Nov 1, 2006.

From the NHTSA website:

Dometic Recall NHTSA Campaign ID 06E076000

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
DOMETIC / NDR1062 9999
DOMETIC / RM2652 9999
DOMETIC / RM2662 9999
DOMETIC / RM2663 9999
DOMETIC / RM2852 9999
DOMETIC / RM2862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3662 9999
DOMETIC / RM3663 9999
DOMETIC / RM3862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3863 9999

Manufacturer : DOMETIC CORPORATION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06E076000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 28, 2006

Component: EQUIPMENT: RECREATIONAL VEHICLE

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 926877

Summary:
CERTAIN DOMETIC TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN APRIL 1997 AND MAY 2003: SERIAL NOS.
713XXXXX THROUGH 752XXXXX;
801XXXXX THROUGH 852XXXXX;
901XXXXX THROUGH 952XXXXX;
001XXXXX THROUGH 052XXXXX;
101XXXXX THROUGH 152XXXXX;
201XXXXX THROUGH 252XXXXX;
301XXXXX THROUGH 319XXXXX,
INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.

Consequence:
THE RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY BURNER HOUSING FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN BETWEEN APRIL AND JUNE 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.

Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

The following is extracted from the notice provided by Dometic to the NHTSA dated 8/26/06:

The potential defect is associated with cooling unit at the back of the refrigeration cabinet.

A fractional percentage of the potentially affected refrigerators have experienced a fatigue crack that may develop in the boiler tube in the area of the weld between the boiler tube and the heater pocket. A fatigue crack may release a sufficient amount of pressurized coolant solution into an area where an ignition source (gas flame) is present. Dometic's investigation has shown that a simulated release of cooling solution (refrigerant) in the area of the boiler, under certain conditions, could be ignited by the presence of an open flame. A boiler fatigue crack with the loss of cooling solution without ignition would result in a non-operational refrigerator that is not a safety issue. Under certain conditions, the released coolant could ignite and result in a fire. In order to have a fire, at a minimum, all of the following conditions must exist:

1. The refrigerator must be on and normally operating and gas burner must be lit;
    2. 'There must be an oversized heating element in the refrigerator;
    3. The boiler tube must develop a throughway fatigue crack of a
    specific size;
    4. There must be a release of the cooling solution at a rate which will
    allow the accumulation of the cooling solution at a concentration within its range of flammability; and
    5. There must be ignition source (gas flame) present.

If any of these conditions are not present, a release of the cooling solution will not result in a fire.

In April of 1997 Dometic modified the design of the affected refrigerators by increasing the wattage of the heating element from 325 watts to 354 watts. All production of the affected units from April 1997 through May of 2003 utilized the 354 watt heating element. In May of 2003, in order to improve the operating life of the refrigerators, Dometic returned to the use of the 325 watt heating element which it continues to use today. It is now believed that the use of the higher wattage heater contributed to abnormal fatigue in the boiler tube.

The products in question are all refrigerators used in the original manufacture of recreation vehicles or as replacement equipment for recreation vehicles. The total population of refrigerators potentially containing the defect is 926,877. Dometic estimates a potential maximum incident rate of 0.01% related to boiler fatigue cracks that leak and may result in a fire. There have been no incidents of injury or death related to the affected population of Dometic refrigerators.

Dometic became aware of the occurrence of fires which may have involved their products and retained an independent engineering testing laboratory to fully evaluate and investigate any potential defect in their refrigerators which might result in a fire. A number of returned units were analyzed and microscopic fatigue cracks which could release coolant into the area of the burner were identified in the boiler tube metal in the area of the weld between the heater pocket and boiler tube. Tests simulating the cracks were conducted the week of August 18, 2006 and confirmed a possible cause of fire in the refrigerators under certain conditions. These test results prompted the preparation of this notice.

Dometic continues to gather information on the potential defect and will forward additional relevant information as it becomes available.

Dometic has not yet identified a proposed remedy for the potential defect. Dometic will continue a testing program designed to identify and evaluate possible remedies. This evaluation will take place both in the United States and in Sweden. Once a remedy has been identified, Dometic will initiate or participate in a remedy campaign initiated by the original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers who have purchased, sold, and distributed these products. A list of original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers to whom Dometic has sold the potentially defective refrigerators is being prepared and will be provided to the NHTSA upon its
completion.

The following is extracted from the NHTSA response on 9/18/06:

Please provide the following additional information and be reminded of the following requirements:
    Dometic must provide an estimated dealer notification date as well as an owner notification date including the day, month, and year. You are required to submit a draft owner notification letter to this office no less than five days prior to mailing it to the customers. Also, copies of all notices, bulletins, dealer notifications, and other communications that relate to this recall, including a copy of the final owner notification letter and any subsequent owner follow-up notification letter(s), are required to be submitted to this office no later than 5 days after they are originally sent (if they are sent to more than one manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or purchaser/owner).

Dometic must file a sample of the envelope which you intend to use to mail the recall notice to owners. The words "SAFETY", "RECALL", "NOTICE" in any order must be printed on the envelope in larger font than the customers name and address.
Mel & Mary Ann; Mo'Be (More Behave...) and Bella
"If you have an RV, you don't need another hobby." Comment from a friend...

90 Champion LaSalle MH 29 ft P30 (89 Chassis)

Visit The Official Blog of the Open Road
854 REPLIES 854

Murminator
Explorer
Explorer
I found some pics on the net what it looks like when the recall is done

The journey is just as fun as the destination

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic was replacing cooling units up until a few months ago- I had my first one rejected at the end of April, and have been told by Dometic that they are only replacing cooling units that are still under warranty now.
Before that time, they had been replacing them for boiler tube leaks no matter the age.
-- Chris Bryant

uprv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to the forum here and haven't taken the time to read this entire thread, so maybe this has already been addressed by one of the other RV repair professionals here. I have encountered two Dometic cooling units that have failed in the heater area. Neither resulted in a fire, although as the recall notice states the potential is there. BOTH of these failed cooling units were replaced by Dometic at no charge to the RV owner. AND both actually failed months after I had installed the recall kit. One of these units was over 5 years old. So if your concern is that you have a unit that has had a band-aid applied and that once it fails you will have no recourse; I'm very confident that you can relax and rest assured that any problems attributed to the purpose of this recall will be handled in an efficient and professional manner by Dometic.

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Just made an appointment with my local RV dealer to handle the Dometic recall. He checked and of course my unit is a part of it. Any suggestions from anyone on this? They seem to be very familiar with the recall saying they have done a hundreds of them. Sure wish the recall did more than apply a patch/shield.

John S.
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I think Dometic needs to take care of their customer's concerns.

100ton
Explorer
Explorer
So when does the class action law suit begin? I am surprised an RVโ€™ing attorney hasn't jumped all over this. I am sitting on one of these โ€œtime bombsโ€ (RM2852, purchased in 2005) myself. The lower unit doesn't cool well, never has, usually around 42 to 45 degrees. I guess I am lucky so farโ€ฆ.. warm food is better than a โ€œhotโ€ fire. Every time I leave my RV for a day trip I wonder if I will return to find a pile of ash and some very angry fellow campers.

As another poster statedโ€ฆ. it probably will not be be long before some company recognizes the need for a decent RV refrigerator and goes to the drawing board with QUALITY and RELIABILITY as a bench mark, leaving our friends at Dometic to wonder... what happened? The market is certainly ripe for an alternative to the current manufacturer's units available, attitudes, and their so called "fix."

I just hope that it doesn't take a death to get the attention of the powers that be.

What say you?

Robert
'05 Ford F250 Crew Cab, PSD, 4X4, Short Bed, Camper & Tow Package, Limited Slip Differential
'05 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29RK
PullRite 16K SuperGlide

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
That about sums up the way I feel too. Tim

starchoice
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
starchoice wrote:

Has anyone had a service call to their trailer if it's parked? Does Dometic cover this?

They were, but I don't think they are any more.

Also, are they not actually fixing the problem or just preventing a fire? What happens when the fridge stops due to this problem?

It's a safety recall- it is to prevent a fire. Up until a while ago, they were fixing failed refrigerators, the last I tried, they are only fixing those still under warranty.

All of that said- they seem to be changing policies fairly frequently, so....

OK, I have to say that this stinks. The company is not fixing the problem but applying a band-aid solution, apparently to prevent a possible fire but they are not taking ownership of the issue.

Doesn't anybody think that it's obvious that they should be fixing the problem, the weak weld or whatever it is which would give you a fridge which can be relied upon and then you wouldn't need the quick fix?

I'm not a "follow-the-leader" type and I don't see any purpose in hauling my unit for an RV "repair" when the next day, my fridge could fail for the very reason that it was brought in for the recall.

It's obvious they don't care if your fridge fails. They are only looking after their own hides and liability issues. I suppose this makes a good argument for extended warranties since we are dealing with a "known" defect which they won't address otherwise.

I would be interested in knowing what the failure rate is and why there were two series of recalls? Did they just divide it up and put a time lag on it to spread out the onslaught of people getting this done?

Personally, I say let the thing burn if it catches fire. Most newer trailers are written on replacement cost so you get a new trailer out of the deal. The insurance company would go after Dometic to recoup their funds once it's proven that the fridge caused the problem.

Unfortunately, the customer is the pawn in this "game" and it seem that this "recall" is really for the benefit of Dometic, not the customer. Obviously, the costs are considered by them to be too high to do a proper fix on all these fridges so the they take a short-cut at the customer's expense.

What's The Big Idea?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
starchoice wrote:

Has anyone had a service call to their trailer if it's parked? Does Dometic cover this?

They were, but I don't think they are any more.

Also, are they not actually fixing the problem or just preventing a fire? What happens when the fridge stops due to this problem?

It's a safety recall- it is to prevent a fire. Up until a while ago, they were fixing failed refrigerators, the last I tried, they are only fixing those still under warranty.

All of that said- they seem to be changing policies fairly frequently, so....
-- Chris Bryant

starchoice
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this has been asked before but there are a lot of pages here.

What's The Big Idea?

mikew9
Explorer
Explorer
Lee In Calif wrote:
Skeet25 wrote:
Lee, This is what edge540 said about the same problem.

Had my kit installed two days ago. Now doesn,t work. Yes it worked fine on gas or 115 vac. prior to retrofit. I removed fount cover of the kit 5x8 sheetmetal now it works. Guess it restricts draft up the flew. If you haven,t checked yours on gas, may be you should.

I took my TT in yesterday got it back today. On 110VAC the freezer got cold quickly (1/2 hour) and just short of two hours later the lower refigerator section was definitely cool. I shut it off and left it to warm back up for several hours. I then switched to LP mode. Freezer gets cold quickly (under an hour) but after 3-4 hours there is no indication of any cooling in the lower fridge section (the fins are warm). Bahhh! I will leave it on LP overnight and check it in the morning.
Mike in Texas

GrowlerBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Why not install a 2 ohm, 25 watt 1% tolerance resistor in series with the AC heating element. This would reduce the voltage across the heating element and bring it down from 354 watts to about 321 watts.
These type of resistors are common and run about $4/each. One note of caution, the resistor would have to be mounted on a heat sink away from the burner assembly since it would have to dissipate about 16 watts of heat. If anybody is interested I can show you my calculations, had to go back over my electronis handbook.
2007 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 Gas
2004 Prowler 270FQS, 27 ft GVWR 7900 lbs

MELM
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic is now recalling the newer models of these refrigerators. NHTSA has assigned a new Recall Number to it, but Dometic indicates in their document to NHTSA that it is essentially the same modification.

Here is a link to the new thread: New Dometic Recall Initiated March 11, 2008

Mel
Mel & Mary Ann; Mo'Be (More Behave...) and Bella
"If you have an RV, you don't need another hobby." Comment from a friend...

90 Champion LaSalle MH 29 ft P30 (89 Chassis)

Visit The Official Blog of the Open Road

alibatesknapper
Explorer
Explorer
I got a letter from Dometic in March of this year telling me about the recall and that I should call them to see if my unit was on the list. So I call and it was. I told them I had taken it in last year for a recall and asked if this was a new recall or the same one..

They said it was "brand new" and I need to take it in. So I took it back in and guess what. The dealer said "WE already fixed this one why did you bring it back in."
2003 Cougar 285 5th wheel
2001 3/4 ton Dodge cummins Hyper-tech programmed, Banks stainless 4" exhaust, transmission chip, exhaust brake and rebuilt heavy duty auto transmission and converter

ak63
Explorer
Explorer
WORD OF CAUTION ABOUT THE PREVIOUSLY POSTED TRANSFORMER MODIFICATION

I would not recommend that as a solution, since you are connecting 120V to a low voltage secondary. The insulation on the wiring on the transformer secondary side (6.3v-CT-6.3v) may not be sufficient for 120V. This could create an electrical hazard with all the associated risks: fire, electrocution etc.
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 1LT Ext Cab 4x4 LWB, Vortec 6.0L V8 gas, auto trans, TruControl brake controller
1997 Prowler 21L 5B