cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic refer

jonswng1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Mandalay with a Dometic refer, model NDR1292. During colder temps outside my refer turns off. Once the outside temps gets back into the higher 50s or 60 d range, the refer turns on. I don't believe it's an electrical issue. Any help/suggestions? Yhanks
14 REPLIES 14

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
When troubleshooting temperature sensitive circuits, this stuff is worth its weight in gold.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

jonswng1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The tough part is being prepared to diagnose the issue in freezing temps.
+1 for power supply issue, control board issue etc. You may find the culprit just poking around so you may need a helper to monitor off/on while you are investigating.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jonswng1 wrote:
Does anyone else have a Dometic NDR1292 side-by-side regrigerator besides me? I have looked/read many web pages and MFG documents and cannot find this model. Dometic does not show it in their database. Thanks

What are you looking for? The installation manual will just show a schematic and any troubleshooting will NOT have your problem. As I stated, your problem is an extreme anomaly. This problem is NOT specific to your model. The model was replaced by the 1350 4 door. You have a control board problem or a wire harness problem. Doug

This is the best you will find.
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/ndr1292.pdf

jonswng1
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone else have a Dometic NDR1292 side-by-side regrigerator besides me? I have looked/read many web pages and MFG documents and cannot find this model. Dometic does not show it in their database. Thanks

jonswng1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try your solution. If I have any question or need more
explanation I will post here. Thanks again

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have a bad connection likely in the outside compartment. Inspect all wires and their connections to the control board.. Only possible explanation.

NOTE: this is a 12 volt issue, not a 120 volt so you can "Ignore" the 120 wires (Save for taking caution to make sure you do not accidentally connect yourself to one)

It is also possible you have a bad part on your control board

Suggestion.. If you do not find an easy fix

Get two things

1: A multiple outlet tap (Cube tap)
2: And old fashing C-7 type night light

Pull the 120 volt plug, plug in teh cube tap and then plug back in the 120 volt cord and plug in the night light.

Alternative

A proper socket and a 12 volt lamp. a 1141 should do it nicely but with a 1141 make sure the lamp socket is supported so the lamp does NOT make contact with anything else (plastic or metal) the C-7 Lamps can lay on plastic no problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jonswng1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your response, I called Dometic a couple of days ago and they were absolutely no help whatsoever. Useless!!! The problem does seem rare but you would think Dometic could look into it. Our refer has been out for two days but just turned back on since it has turned sunny and in the 60s. I have a mobile RV repairman coming over today for another problem and will ask his advice/suggestions. If I can get a fix I will post it here.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jonswng1 wrote:
When it goes out all lights on panel go out. When the on/off button is
pushed the lights come for a second and then go out until the outside
temp gets above 60, about. The refer goes out usually when the
outside temp dips below 50. Thanks for the responses.

You are the 2nd poster in the last 60 days that has stated such a problem with a Dometic refer. I called Dometic yesterday and they have NEVER heard of such a problem---The eyebrow goes blank in colder climates. I have never seen it either. I would check the small wire plug on the eyebrow board for tightness and all the wire connections at the back circuit board and area there. Might be a loose connection or a wire loose in the quick connect. Doug

jonswng1
Explorer
Explorer
When it goes out all lights on panel go out. When the on/off button is
pushed the lights come for a second and then go out until the outside
temp gets above 60, about. The refer goes out usually when the
outside temp dips below 50. Thanks for the responses.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
How cold are you calling cold?
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Clarify. Is the refer eyebrow control panel turning OFF (no indicator lights) or the refer just does NOT cool? Doug

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you tried turning 'Low Ambient Switch' ON when outside temps drop below 50*F?

You have 2 switches under top panel (open door and look up)
One is a 'Climate Control Switch'----used during high summer temps/humidity. It energizes a 12V DC heater strip to help keep condensate from occurring (it pulls 12V DC continuously)

The other is 'Low Ambient Switch'----used when outside temps drop below 50*F.
It keeps the interior light on when door is closed.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31