cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Refrig problem

dbontherun
Explorer
Explorer
Having trouble with refrigerator running on propane. When the RV is hooked to shore power and the refrigerator is unplugged from the 110 outlet it will run on propane, but as soon as I unhook from shore power it shuts off. Don't know what the problem is. The battery disconnect is on and the voltage to the refrigerator is approx. 13.5 volts. Anybody have any idea what could be wrong?

DB
14 REPLIES 14

dbontherun
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everybody for their input on this issue with the Dometic refrig. After using all your ideas to try and find what was wrong it came down to the circuit board. Thanks to everybody.

DB

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually, the Converter/Charger unit is powered by 120VAC from Shore Tie. When plugged in it charges the House Battery. It also disconnects the House Battery from the 12VDC loads in the coach and powers them with 12VDC that it produces independently of the battery charge portion. Unplug from Shore Tie and the Converter re-connects the House Loads direct to the Battery.
BUT... it's always possible to connect a 12VDC load directly to the Battery. The Battery is always that load's power source. May or may not be getting charged, but the Battery's still the source.
A Battery provides cleaner, smoother power than a Converter (at least than the older ones) and some Fridge Install Instructions wanted the power source to be Direct from Battery. I mention this because it might be how your coach battery powers the logic board in your fridge. That could simplify things, but it might raise different issues about how it's grounded.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
The ground, not neutral, on the 120 volt and the 12 volt is the same, chassis frame. Perhaps the refrigerator is getting it's 12 volt ground from the 120 volt ground through the 120 volt cord when plugged in. So look for a bad 12 volt ground, ether where it gets it's 12 volt or at the circuit board.

Dusty

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
Ours when hooking and unhooking power causes problems. Often the check light comes on but sometimes doesnt. Make sure it is set to auto and the second button is depressed to automaticically change over.

chiefward
Explorer
Explorer
Check fuses in the frige control board. I had same problem which turned out to be the 3 amp fuse.
2011 Fun Finder by Cruiser RV, model X210WBS
2017 Ram, 1500, Tradesman,
10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch

dbontherun
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Does all the other 12 volt DC items work?
Lights? Furnace?

All 12 volt items work fine.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does all the other 12 volt DC items work?
Lights? Furnace?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

carbour
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever I have an unusual problem in an electrical system , such as this I would check and double check the grounds. Bad ground connections cause some crazy problems.

dbontherun
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaned all 12 volt connections, the voltage when hooked to shore power and the refrig unplugged from 110 outlet is 13.70 and when shore power is disconnected the voltage is 13.04. I wouldn't think this drop in voltage would have an cause the problem. Any other ideas?

DB

dbontherun
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
dbontherun wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
Is that the voltage when unpluged?

The voltage is the same connected or not.

Yes

IS that also the DC voltage when disconnected from shore power?

When connected to shore power converter supplying DC system
When not connected battery supplies DC system.

That is the only difference between the two ways you described.
Unplugging fridge and disconnecting shore power

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dbontherun wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:

Yes

IS that also the DC voltage when disconnected from shore power?

When connected to shore power converter supplying DC system
When not connected battery supplies DC system.

That is the only difference between the two ways you described.
Unplugging fridge and disconnecting shore power
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would start by cleaning the battery terminals good.
Clean the ground connection where the battery connects to the frame of the rig.
Check the ground connection between the refer ground and the point it connects to the frame ground normally around the converter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dbontherun
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:

Yes

newman_fulltime
Explorer II