cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drilling P.C. Boards (tips solicited)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am presently using small perforated breadboards that occasionally need the perforations enlarged for leads of larger devices such as diodes and resistors.

Do I really need carbide drills and an expensive Dremel or Skil tool (which in themselves are clumsy to handle)?

And is there a superior grade of hookup wire? I would prefer wire that it extremely soft annealed and easier to strip. I could also profit from expert advice on wire wrapping tools and accessories.

I cannot find circuits online for my rig so I am manufacturing them from scratch.
33 REPLIES 33

MrWizard
solder station $14.95....Mini Solder Station, ZD-99
5w~50w up to 800* F

http://www.mpja.com/11-18-14.asp?r=318221&s=33

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My car is on the peninsula rather than at home and I have to haul all this stuff including battery inverter, a ton of LED lights, power supplies, tools, instruments, plus clothing, the BiPAP and huge carton of supplies like masks and cushions - all in a tomato soup can '95 Dodge Spirit.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Chris, would you be offended if I asked for examples? I believe a regular soldering station is above my own station, affordability-wise.
I personally have 2 Weller soldering stations, although there are several knockoffs around that seem just fine. For run of the mill circuit board work I use PTA7 tips. PTA is the tip configuration, and the 7 is the temp (700 degrees). I rarely go above that for board work, but do go down to 600 degrees.

Variable knob temp is better. RF Soldering is by far the best but those go for $300 used and often broken.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Chris, would you be offended if I asked for examples? I believe a regular soldering station is above my own station, affordability-wise.

My go to home soldering station is one from MCM Electronics which is fully adjustable temp with bar graph temp readout.. They have a variety of changeable tips so you can use the correct size/shape tip for your needs. It my not have quite as good temp control as say a Weller but it costs a heck of a lot less than a Weller. Overall a very good "Hobbyist" or even semi pro soldering station.

At the time when I bought it it was on sale for $59.. Regular price now is $77..

MCM SOLDER STATION

They also have the same station with digital readout for a bit more money..

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
More tips!

Soldering station I have. Not a Weller but seems to work fine. Would not use in industrial setting.

http://smile.amazon.com/X-TRONIC-6040-Soldering-SOLDERING-MAGNIFYING/dp/B0052M8SZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416156860&sr=8-1&keywords=x-tronic+6000&pebp=1416156864766

They have models without the hot air.

Radioshack has some of the best solder I have ever used.

http://www.radioshack.com/high-tech-rosin-core-silver-bearing-solder-1-5-oz-/6400013.html

http://www.radioshack.com/rosin-core-solder-2-5-oz-/6400005.html

Radioshack desolding braid is also about the best I have used.

http://www.radioshack.com/desoldering-braid/6402090.html

And for seeing small things on a circuit board you can not go without this.

http://www.amazon.com/Donegan-Optical-Binocular-Magnifier-Lensplate/dp/B000YZCSBU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416155615&sr=8-2&keywords=optivisor+lensplate+%237

The #7 lens plate works for me but there are others to look at.

Then this light works perfect with the magnifier.

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Light-Attachment-For-Optivisor/dp/B0058ECQ46/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416155227&sr=8-3&keywords=optivisor
Lou

MrWizard
Maybe one of these would help

Crafters Hobby drill

Fiskars hand drill
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Mex, check out honorable Chinese brand XYtronic for an affordable solder station. Mine's nearly ten years old and still using the original tips and still working great despite the occasional abuse. It's was one of the cheapest I could find that offered digital temperature control with replaceable somewhat generic tips and heater core.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I really like higher wattage temperature controlled irons. That's how you get a fast warmup.
-- Chris Bryant

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping for cobalt drills not carbide as I break cobalt less than HSS, or carbide. Thanks all the other tips. PC board assembly is a new area for me.

Now if I can only find a 20 watt soldering iron with foot switch that heats up within a few seconds...

My first fan cooled 30 watt LED lamp was finished this morning. Using silver color silicone over the exposed connectors. Man! Is that critter bright! I also found a half-price 12-volt to 36-volt booster online. It's the stupid heat sinks that are so expensive. Using a fan allows me a 3-to-1 advantage, a 2/3rds reduction in the size of the heat sink.

Next month, a bulk purchase of Arctic Silver adhesive, along with the PC stuff.

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
For small hand held hole enlarging the Dremel bit set that Gdetrailer points to is fine. The carbide bits used for mass PC board drilling are much sharper but are brittle and may break if not careful.

If you are coating the boards remember that will make it very hard to repair!

If using wire wrap don't try to make it neat. Short straight routing, called rats nest, is best to keep cross talk down.
Lou

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Only issue with a Dremel and drilling/reaming copper is the speed. Slower is better. For perf board, a hand vice is going to do a good job. I wish I had a small hobby brace as Mr. Wizard describes.

I pick up wire as I find it at discount sellers. I could pay the same price for new PVC jacketed small gauge wire as I do for the fancy Teflon jacket at surplus.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MrWizard
Pref board...enlarging holes..
When I did this I just used a hand Chuck to hold the tiny drill bit
A few turns with my fingers and it was done
More holes or duplicate project boards, I used a small hobby manual crank hand drill, common for builders before the dremel became so popular
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sigh, yes of course my eyes were instantly sucked to the Starrett tools. Goes to show you what Champagne tastes on a Beer budget does to a person. But, I am hooked in the gills. Starrett it's going to be, and now to find top quality micro drills to match. Why expensive drills? Three ninety cent broken drills are a poorer value than 1 single, quality two dollar drill. Clumsy hands, not necessarily the drill's fault. Watching 1-1/2 hands at work is a riot (if they're not your hands).