cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Load Distribution

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Question about the distribution of the electrical load in our 5er.
We have a 50 amp service and I have a surge protector that shows the voltage and amperage fir each leg.
It seems that every time I look at this as it scans through that leg one is drawing about 3 amps and leg 2 is much higher depending on what is on and whats not on.

Yesterday when I first plugged in to the pedestal L 1 was 0A and L2 was 25 A, After a bit L2 dropped a little to 23A. It seems like there isn't much of anything on L1 and L2 is carrying the bulk of the load.

Is this typical or is the 5er wired such to cause this bias?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
18 REPLIES 18

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
The Refig is set to auto and it could kick into electric mode as soon as shore power is on. Also the water heater is on so it can draw to.
There could also be some drain on the batteries from opening slides and leveling while on battery. ( because surge protector hasn't timed out yet.). So the recharging could add to the load, though I suspect it is the 3 A on L1.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
flyfishing48 wrote:
Question about the distribution of the electrical load in our 5er.
We have a 50 amp service and I have a surge protector that shows the voltage and amperage fir each leg.
It seems that every time I look at this as it scans through that leg one is drawing about 3 amps and leg 2 is much higher depending on what is on and whats not on.

Yesterday when I first plugged in to the pedestal L 1 was 0A and L2 was 25 A, After a bit L2 dropped a little to 23A. It seems like there isn't much of anything on L1 and L2 is carrying the bulk of the load.

Is this typical or is the 5er wired such to cause this bias?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Very common and almost exactly how our 5th wheel is wired too. The main air conditioner runs on one leg, so it shows relatively high amps on one leg while the other shows almost nothing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easy to isolate the load......
After plugging in and power is available open each individual branch circuit breaker one at a time as someone watches the AMP Load on each leg (surge guard display)

When AMP Load drops on L2 then you know WHICH circuit is pulling all the amps....what is on that circuit?
Unless L2 AMP Load drops a little each time a circuit breaker is opened....

WHat I find interesting........WHAT do you already have ON when arriving and getting set up at camp site???

Converter is only thing that we would Normally have ON and batteries should not be that low
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
On our TT, about the only thing on the second leg is the second AC and an outlet I installed to run a second space heater.
That's OK, it doesn't need to be balanced.