cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Step doesn't work

jrjablonski
Explorer
Explorer
The electric step on my 2005 Gulfstream Class C stopped working; no step movement out or in, no step light. I tried the simple things to no avail; fuse, connections, door magnetic switch and its connections, etc. Iโ€™m considering replacing the motor, maybe controller. Other options Iโ€™m considering are (1) just replace the entire step with a non-electric version (about $175). (2) Iโ€™m also wondering if thereโ€™s a way to remove the electric motor and controller to use my existing step in a non-electric mode. Do you have any suggestions. Thankx.
6 REPLIES 6

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your hands clear when working on steps
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
What type of steps do you have? If they are Kwikee, there is a complete set of trouble shooting instructions in the installation manual which is on line if you don't have one. The step by step instructions are very good and include all safety instructions.

Personally I think the convenience of the electric steps are worth the work involved in repairing them. They are probably the simplest system on your rig to maintain and repair.

There are a lot of posts in this forum regarding them, just search for Kwikee steps for endless hours of reading if you search the older posts.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Hot wire the motor/gear assy w/ a positive and neg directly from a battery.
If the motor/gear runs, the step will go up and down by just reversing polarity. This bypasses the controller, and all the other electrical involved in the auto step operation. If you don't want to deal w/ the expense of replacing the controller, or anything else the fix may involve, just run the pos and neg thru a momentary 2 pole, double throw (6 terminal) switch on the wall to reverse the polarity, which will then be a manually operated electric step.

And yes, keep hands and body clear of the steps when working on them !!!!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
It's the ground, look for the green wire going to the frame. Just do that with the door closed and no one opening it while you are under it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is no latching on the electric step to use it as a manual one.
Did you check for a good connection on the two grounds under the step?
Did you check both fuses for the step?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker