Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical out to 3 lite fixtures

Dalo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I've lost 12volt power to 3 lites near my bathroom and the small fan in bathrm vent. I was attempting to install a new ventline roof vent due to a small crack. The plastic dome was very brittle after 10 years in the sun. I ordered all new parts from Camping World and installed them. When hooking up the small fan in the bathrm vent there was a small spark when disconnecting the old fan wiring. The blue positive wire touched the aluminum frame. Now with everything reconnected and installed I have no power to the fan and 3 lites in the bathrm. I checked fuse panel and all test good. There are 4 auto resetting breakers near my battery box on trailer A-frame. They all test good. All other lites and appliances are working.
I notice a lot of slack in the blue and white wires coming from trailer ceiling area. Maybe I accidently pulled the blue one loose.
Anyone got any ideas?
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 with 5.9L Cummins, K&N air filter, Magnaflow exhaust and Hypertech power programmer
2003 Alumascape 26' travel trailer
7 REPLIES 7

Dalo
Explorer
Explorer
OP here,
I have rechecked all the fuses on the fuse panel located next to the converter. All are good. Found one more up by the water tank and sureflo pump. It's good and it is only for the water pump. Up on the A-frame where my batteries are kept I have a cut-off switch and just "downstream" from that switch are four 12volt circuit breakers (short stop). They are very corroded. The lugs are very rusty. I tried to scrape through the rust to get my test meter on them and see if 12volts was getting through them and I don't see voltage. I'll take Bobbo's advice and just replace those 4 corroded circuit breakers.
I don't believe the GFI is a factor because I am only dealing with 12 volts. I also tried to post pictures but have not been able to.
Thanks for everybody's input.
DALE
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 with 5.9L Cummins, K&N air filter, Magnaflow exhaust and Hypertech power programmer
2003 Alumascape 26' travel trailer

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pull each 12v fuse out to test it. Testing in place can give incorrect results. If none of the fuses tests bad, look for other fuses. I guarantee that you blew a fuse SOMEWHERE when you sparked the wires.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Quick_trip
Explorer
Explorer
12thgenusa is correct!
12 volt lights would be through fuses not GFI circuit!

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
12-volt lights and a fan would definitely not be a GFI problem.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, check your GFI outlets, they run all sorts of things (power) through them. Sometimes I'm not sure if they really think certain items should be protected by a GFI or if they're just using it as a junction box because it's handy. Now the GFIs are the first thing I check if I have a problem anyplace near the bathroom.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Dalo wrote:
Hi,
I've lost 12volt power to 3 lites near my bathroom and the small fan in bathrm vent. I was attempting to install a new ventline roof vent due to a small crack. The plastic dome was very brittle after 10 years in the sun. I ordered all new parts from Camping World and installed them. When hooking up the small fan in the bathrm vent there was a small spark when disconnecting the old fan wiring. The blue positive wire touched the aluminum frame. Now with everything reconnected and installed I have no power to the fan and 3 lites in the bathrm. I checked fuse panel and all test good. There are 4 auto resetting breakers near my battery box on trailer A-frame. They all test good. All other lites and appliances are working.
I notice a lot of slack in the blue and white wires coming from trailer ceiling area. Maybe I accidently pulled the blue one loose.
Anyone got any ideas?

from the "spark" I suspect you shorted the 12V to ground and did pop one of the 12V fuses.

Check the fuses again. Often the wire does have a lot of slack. However, the slack should eventually end, BEFORE you end up with both ends of the wire in your hand!!

if that is the case......well...... your job may end up bigger than you planned.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
check your GFI outlet.....
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4