cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EMS vs. Voltage Protector vs. Surge Protector

ronphil
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 HR with an in-house EMS. Is the EMS also known as a voltage regulator? That is, will it shut down my electrical system with too low or too high voltage? I'm aware it will prioritize systems when needed, but nothing in the manual indicates a shut down feature. Also, is it necessary to have a surge protector with the EMS? How large. The park where we are staying is having electrical issues with surging.
13 REPLIES 13

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I choose the Progressive Industries unit over the Surge Guard unit because it provides better protection and has field replaceable parts. AFAIK the Surge Guard units have to be sent in for service. I also have the remote display mounted in a cabinet. Prices vary.

Excellent comparison chart - click.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atlee wrote:
I'm not sure what you are referencing here. "EMS= Energy Management System.. This system tries to keep you from tripping a 30 amp park breaker if you are on 30 amps.. Basically does nothing if you are on 50"

My PI EMS does more than try to keep me from tripping a 30 am park breaker.
EMS is also used for the load shedding device that detects amp draw and sheds loads when more than 30A is detected on a 30A plug. It detects 50A and 30A and has a button to set 20A.

For clarity the PI units do not protect against excessive amp draw but rather leave that up to the CB. But they do display amp draw and provide excellent fault protection.

Bob

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure what you are referencing here. "EMS= Energy Management System.. This system tries to keep you from tripping a 30 amp park breaker if you are on 30 amps.. Basically does nothing if you are on 50"

My Progressive Industries Energy Management System (EMS) Model # EMS-PT30C provides:

1) High/Low Voltage Protection, 2) Time Delay for A/C Compressor, 3) 3-Mode Surge Protection, 4) Surge Indicator, 5) Reverse Polarity Protection, 6) Open Neutral Protection, 7) Open ground Protection, ๐Ÿ˜Ž AC Frequency Protection, 9) Accidental 240V Protection

Mine is for a 30amp system. The EMS-PT50C is for 50 amp systems. My PI EMS does more than try to keep me from tripping a 30 am park breaker.

wa8yxm wrote:
There are several devices that your subject line can referene.

EMS= Energy Management System.. This system tries to keep you from tripping a 30 amp park breaker if you are on 30 amps.. Basically does nothing if you are on 50

EMS - Energy Monitoring System: This monitors incoming voltage (And current but that's for your info) and displays them, SHould voltage, and in some cases frequency or waveform, fall outside of a specified range, they shut you off to protect you from bad power. These will protect you from a power SURGE (long lasting over voltage) Brownout (Low voltage) and usually contain spike suppression.

Surge Guard: an RF surge guard is the same as an Energy monitoring System, However those outlet strips also sold as surge guards.. Are Spike suppressors. A true surge and they alert you (Sound like firecrackers going BANG on July 4).

Voltage Regulator: I think you mean Autoformer, This is a device which depending on the make and model attempts to protect you from Brownouts (low voltage) By boosting as needed.. Or in at least one case that as well as HIGH VOLTAGES by bucking the voltage a bit.

In your case.. You said "in-house EMS" Which leads me to suspect that it is the Energy Management System..

These systems display AMPS if you are on a 30 amp site and may display Volts as well, they will have indicators to indicate if you are on a 30 or 50 amp site and possibly a way to specify a 20 amp site.. They can control air conditioners and possibly the water heater cutting them off if you need power elsewhere.

Hope this helps.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In fact the HW50C will not connect or it will disconnect if one leg is less than 104V which includes 0V.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
mrekim wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
For a 50A rig get a 50A model, for a 30A rig get a 30A model. Both work when adapting to smaller plugs.

Can the 50A amp model work on 30 amp connection - eg one leg "dead"?
Works on 30A or 20A.

But no dead leg. The 30 (male)/50 adapter connects the 30A hot to both 50A hots so you have 120V on both legs but no 240V. Very few rigs use 240V appliances. This is true with w/o the HW50C.

Bob

mrekim
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
For a 50A rig get a 50A model, for a 30A rig get a 30A model. Both work when adapting to smaller plugs.

Can the 50A amp model work on 30 amp connection - eg one leg "dead"?

ronphil
Explorer
Explorer
That does help me better understand. You're correct in that it is an Energy Management System. Already shopping for the PI HW50C. Thanks for all the info.

Ron

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are several devices that your subject line can referene.

EMS= Energy Management System.. This system tries to keep you from tripping a 30 amp park breaker if you are on 30 amps.. Basically does nothing if you are on 50

EMS - Energy Monitoring System: This monitors incoming voltage (And current but that's for your info) and displays them, SHould voltage, and in some cases frequency or waveform, fall outside of a specified range, they shut you off to protect you from bad power. These will protect you from a power SURGE (long lasting over voltage) Brownout (Low voltage) and usually contain spike suppression.

Surge Guard: an RF surge guard is the same as an Energy monitoring System, However those outlet strips also sold as surge guards.. Are Spike suppressors. A true surge and they alert you (Sound like firecrackers going BANG on July 4).

Voltage Regulator: I think you mean Autoformer, This is a device which depending on the make and model attempts to protect you from Brownouts (low voltage) By boosting as needed.. Or in at least one case that as well as HIGH VOLTAGES by bucking the voltage a bit.

In your case.. You said "in-house EMS" Which leads me to suspect that it is the Energy Management System..

These systems display AMPS if you are on a 30 amp site and may display Volts as well, they will have indicators to indicate if you are on a 30 or 50 amp site and possibly a way to specify a 20 amp site.. They can control air conditioners and possibly the water heater cutting them off if you need power elsewhere.

Hope this helps.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it a Progressive Industries Energy Management System (EMS)? The info with my unit says, "The user will feel secure with multi-mode surge, voltage, polarity, and lost/open neutral protection."

The EMS provides surge protection. You don't need an additional surge protector.

ronphil wrote:
We have a 2002 HR with an in-house EMS. Is the EMS also known as a voltage regulator? That is, will it shut down my electrical system with too low or too high voltage? I'm aware it will prioritize systems when needed, but nothing in the manual indicates a shut down feature. Also, is it necessary to have a surge protector with the EMS? How large. The park where we are staying is having electrical issues with surging.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure, bought mine in 04 and it's in its second rig.

Bob

ronphil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Bob. HW50C available just on-line or carried at RV stores?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
How large? For a 50A rig get a 50A model, for a 30A rig get a 30A model. Both work when adapting to smaller plugs.

Progressive Industries HW 50C

Progressive Industries HW 30C

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You're referring to load shedding which reduces loads but most don't otherwise protect against anything.

My EMS does the same thing. My Progressive Industries HW50C protects against high/low voltage and frequency, miswired plugs, surge and several other faults. These units are often called EMS or surge protectors but a better description is full function power protection.

Bob