cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External screws and silicone

Camper1977
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, if you have trim areas / caps such as the electric cord cap with screws holding it to fiberglass wall ( external) and they are coming out what is a good solution ?
All I'm concerned with is the cap flying off and is there concern with water damaging the area where the cap sits. I noticed there has never been any silicone around that cap, but thinking maybe I can put some around it to help support that cap and prevent water from entering. Thoughts, ideas ? Thanks I'm new to campers. Bought this new 9//2015
Kz spree escape 17TH
19 REPLIES 19

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Remove cap

Apply WOOD PUTTY to screw's threads which is sold in every hardware store

Screw the screws back in, without the cap

Let dry overnight.

Work the screw back and forth to release it from the Wood Putty

Back the screws out

Assemble

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on putting silicone on your "never use" list.
For holes where cables and pipes go thru, I fill them up with polyurethane foam sold as "Great stuff" ... it is really great in sealing, but can be messy, so use precaution and practice on your shed before RV.
Than for final caulking use real roofers caulk or I like siding caulk from James Hardie that can be special order in colors from Home Depot. It has to be SO in 12-pack, but price was low last time I bought it.

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Never, ever, use silicon on the exterior or your rv. It was never ment for exterior use. It will eventually crack and let water in. Nothing will adhere to it, not even more silicon.
When attaching something to the exterior, and it has a flange, use butyl tape to seal it, and then use Dicor Caulk, self leveling for horizontal surfaces, and Dicor Non Sag for vertical surfaces. Just run a bead around the permiter of the flange and a dab over each screw head.
Do it right once and you'll be good for years.
Grumpy

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
On my KZ, they had the hole too big and some screws didn't bite into anything. I would suggest that you remove the inlet and start over so that you know it is done right. Also, my wires were completely loose and could have started a fire in the wall, so check the set screws while it is apart.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the screws with stainless steel screws. Silicone is great for appearances but terrible for keeping water out. Use something like Pro Flex Pro Flex RV Flexible Sealant to ensure a good seal water can't penetrate.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System