cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ok to run refer at an angle if on electricity?

thealexdexter
Explorer
Explorer
My driveway is at an angle maybe 8 degrees. Think it's ok to run the refer if on AC? Not sure if it's always level or just on propane it must be level.
------------------------------------------------
2015 All Terrain GMC Sierra 4x4 CC Duramax
2016 Arctic Fox 811SB
43 REPLIES 43

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Vintage465 wrote:
Well, after working in an RV shop for many years in the 70'(all the 70's!), I have pulled out many refrigerators that were run off level and turned them over on their head for 24 hrs. then put them back in and they work. The new ones don't seem to be as finicky about locking up as the older ones were. Even with the new one, I level it when I camp and darn close if I'm just parking to go into the store. It just costs to much not to take two or three minutes to either level it....or shut it off when you go in the store for something....Sorry, old school...no problem

I have/current been working on RV refers since 1979. You CANNOT think that what you knew 40 years ago is the same today. I CAN tell you that current Cooling units changed slightly in the early 80's both Norcold and Dometic. The SIBIR and Instamatic brands you were probably dealing with, went out of business in the 1979 thru 1982 years. What you call placing on their top(burping) NEVER EVER fixed a partially or fully blocked refer. That just rearranges the Ammonia and the refer will work for a time but eventually get blocked and stop working once the ammonia blocks up again. The design has not changed in over 120 years. OFF LEVEL will cause a blockage. How bad is how long and out of level. The old Instamatic refers had to be almost perfectly level for the operation less than that 3 and 6 stated here. Sibir was exclusive to Winne/Itasca products as far as I know. Doug

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
All this off level concern is a great reason IMO for having the ARP control system. At least with it you're protected against potential damage from overheating the boiler section and damaging the refer. It's also a great diagnostic tool since you can monitor the boiler temp on a continuous basis.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Rhigley
Explorer
Explorer
After reading all these post I ran out and turned off my fridge. Hope I didn't hurt it. I usually turn it on a couple days before I go on a trip in the driveway knowing that it was not level. OOPS
2016 Four Winds 31E
Amatuer Radio KF6OOK

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
Even with the new one, I level it when I camp and darn close if I'm just parking to go into the store. It just costs to much not to take two or three minutes to either level it....or shut it off when you go in the store for something....Sorry, old school...no problem

X2, I must be "old school" as well. When returning from a camping trip I always first stop in front of the house and go back to the trailer to turn the fridge off. Our driveway slopes noticeably to the street so once parked I always also level the trailer so I can use it for Camp Driveway and so the next time we head out on a trip I can safely power up the fridge the night before we leave. When I do start that process to hitch up for a trip the first thing I do is turn the fridge off and it remains off until I've pulled out on to the street and we're about to leave. If we stop along the way for any more than a few minutes I turn the fridge off. When we arrive at our destination my wife will head to the trailer to turn the fridge off while I'm at the gate house registering and the fridge remains off until we're on-site and leveled. Certainly the process would be easier if I could do this remotely but as it is it's really no biggie and IMO certainly worth the effort. For some this may seem to be overkill but it's a process that works for me, ensuring I've done what I can so the fridge enjoys a long life. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Well, after working in an RV shop for many years in the 70'(all the 70's!), I have pulled out many refrigerators that were run off level and turned them over on their head for 24 hrs. then put them back in and they work. The new ones don't seem to be as finicky about locking up as the older ones were. Even with the new one, I level it when I camp and darn close if I'm just parking to go into the store. It just costs to much not to take two or three minutes to either level it....or shut it off when you go in the store for something....Sorry, old school...no problem
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
HOW is my post confusing?

After reading it for maybe the tenth time I finally get it.
There seems to be a double or triple negative in there that had me wondering which side you actually were taking.
Sorry.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
myredracer wrote:
Our Norcold manual says this (I actually read manuals, lol):
The refrigerator is made to operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back (as looking at the front of the refrigerator). Operating it at more than these limits can cause damage to the cooling system and create a risk of personal injury or property damage. Make sure the vehicle is level before you operate the refrigerator.

and also:
While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected.

Question is, is it still better to keep the fridge as level as possible even if Norcold says up to 3/6 degrees is okay?? However, Norcold still says the fridge should be level before operating it so the manual is somewhat confusing.

What if you are driving up a long mountain road? Is that a concern for being off-level too long?

You have not been following all the posts. IN TRANSIT, the rocking motion overcomes the mountain unlevel driving or uneven road conditions. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Sam Spade wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
if you had been reading on some Internet forum from people that have no clue that 120 does not have to be level. That is one of the oldest fallacies out there on RV refer operation. Doug

That's a bit confusing.

ALL refrigeration units need to be level; even home A/C units but for slightly different reasons (efficiency).

As posts in this thread have clearly shown, RV units need to be near to level regardless of what they are powered by.

This is a RV forum, not a general Refer operation forum, so Posts about residentials are not needed. HOW is my post confusing? This type post concerns RV LP/120 refer systems with Ammonia. Besides, IF your HOME is so out of level it affects your HOME refer, maybe you need to fix the HOMES Foundation:) Doug

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
3% and 6% if I remember correctly.

I don't agonize any more since I have the ARP protection device in place. https://www.arprv.com/

NinerBikes wrote:
Wonder what specs are for a Dometic for % of grade out of level.

Late to the conversation,but have followed it.
I have the level app on my I phone and my driveway is 6%.
I have the 3 cu ft Dometic model in my Palomino,so went to the manual and all it says is that the fridge should be level when stopped.
In the future will level truck or not pre cool it the night before.

I have done so twice in the last year. Seems to cool fine.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
3% and 6% if I remember correctly.

I don't agonize any more since I have the ARP protection device in place. https://www.arprv.com/

NinerBikes wrote:
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer

I try to keep mine as level as possible at all times when I set up camp.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
What if you are driving up a long mountain road? Is that a concern for being off-level too long?
no, but if it concerns you, turn it off.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Norcold manual says this (I actually read manuals, lol):
The refrigerator is made to operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back (as looking at the front of the refrigerator). Operating it at more than these limits can cause damage to the cooling system and create a risk of personal injury or property damage. Make sure the vehicle is level before you operate the refrigerator.

and also:
While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected.

Question is, is it still better to keep the fridge as level as possible even if Norcold says up to 3/6 degrees is okay?? However, Norcold still says the fridge should be level before operating it so the manual is somewhat confusing.

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Would a fan system with temp control reduce/extend this type of failure?

Are any of you using the ARP system?
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal