cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F53 Brakes

thmitch79
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone do their own brakes? I have a 2003 Southwind, F53 chassis with 19.5" tires. I do the brakes on my cars and trucks but have never attempted to do a motorhome. Besides being bigger, what else should I look for? I am going to make the attempt soon.
Laugh, Live, Love.
13 REPLIES 13

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
thmitch79 wrote:
Anyone do their own brakes? I have a 2003 Southwind, F53 chassis with 19.5" tires. I do the brakes on my cars and trucks but have never attempted to do a motorhome. Besides being bigger, what else should I look for? I am going to make the attempt soon.

I think you have the same Rear Axle as mine.
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXSM-8941.pdf

Currently waiting for a 3 1/4" Spindle Socket to be arrive, before disassembling hub.

DJ
99 Fleetwood Vision 36Zulu V10 Gas F53 Chassis
Hyd Leveling man/keypad (Powergear)
Electric Slideouts (Powergear) x2
2005' 4020 Fadal 4Axis CNC Mill w/24Datc
Hendy 16x72" WWII Navy Lathe 1800RPM

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
Update on my 1999 F53 20.5k Brake job. After removing rear driver's side wheels to begin the dirty work. Discover a LARGE crack in the Disc Rotor. Funny part is never felted any problems while braking. MH has 125k miles and the rotor looks like OEM Ford.

Click For Full-Size Image.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's grease and when you pull the hub off you repack the bearings and put in a seal. While it's all apart use synthetic grease on the brake calipers where they ride on the cradle, after cleaning them off. Pull the brake pins also and lube them with the same synthetic grease.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Fleetwood 99 your right I stand corrected it's not 79 lb/ft it's 85 lb/ft. The following is from the Ford Motor co. 2001 workshop manual. #3.While rotating the wheel , tighten the adjusting nut to specifications as illustrated (114Nm (85 lb/ft) ) to seat the bearings. #4 Back off the adjusting nut until loose. #5. Finger- tighten the adjusting nut. Final bearing adjustment end play must be within the specifications as illustrated (0.000-0.125 NM / 0.000-0,005in.) The final adjustment must not result in a preloaded bearing. #6 If cotter pin hole lines up with slot in nut, insert and secure the new cotter pin. If it does not, advance the adjusting nut to align a slot with the first available cotter pin hole. Insert and secure a new cotter pin. #7 Install the gasket and hub cap.

Ok, now got all that, so now how do we check the oil or grease in the hub, which ever it is.
Neil

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks KLGB

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fleetwood 99 your right I stand corrected it's not 79 lb/ft it's 85 lb/ft. The following is from the Ford Motor co. 2001 workshop manual. #3.While rotating the wheel , tighten the adjusting nut to specifications as illustrated (114Nm (85 lb/ft) ) to seat the bearings. #4 Back off the adjusting nut until loose. #5. Finger- tighten the adjusting nut. Final bearing adjustment end play must be within the specifications as illustrated (0.000-0.125 NM / 0.000-0,005in.) The final adjustment must not result in a preloaded bearing. #6 If cotter pin hole lines up with slot in nut, insert and secure the new cotter pin. If it does not, advance the adjusting nut to align a slot with the first available cotter pin hole. Insert and secure a new cotter pin. #7 Install the gasket and hub cap.
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Buy new seals for the front and repack the bearings while your at it. I think the preload on the bearings is like 79 foot lbs. if I remember right. Wheel lug nuts are 150 ft.lbs.

I was just doing some research on this topic of F53 Brakes for a replacement job and after reading the 79FT/lbs on bearings preload sounds like alot.

What is the correct torque for front wheel bearings on F53 Chassis?

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
I just did my 22 1/2 wheels . I bought a air hydraulic jack and a 650# air wrench from h.f. and it went easy. brake slides are way easier then the cars just bigger.
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy new seals for the front and repack the bearings while your at it. I think the preload on the bearings is like 79 foot lbs. if I remember right. Wheel lug nuts are 150 ft.lbs.
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think this chassis has the driveshaft-mounted parking brake, so do one end at a time and block the wheels on the end you leave on the ground so it can't roll. You'll need a block, or just use an old brake pad, to push both pistons in the dual-piston caliper back at once. Change any flex hoses. Our E450 has one to all four wheels. Shouldn't be a bad job is you can handle the wheel removal and the torque on the lug nuts. Rear disk brakes are a whole lot easier than rear drums integrated with the hubs. Drive axles had to come out and wheel bearings dismantled.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
The 99 F53, still had the slide things to remove like Fcooper mentioned, just take a small bolt out that is locating it & with a punch & hammer drive the slide thing out.
You'll need a big type C clamp to compress the pistons back in on the calipers.
NAPA has the pads, runs around 80 bucks per axle.
You'll spend more labor time removing the tires & rims than changing out the pads.
While your at the parts store, go ahead & get some hand cleaner as well, cause you will get dirty.

Hey, this might be a good tip for Mike on "Dirty Jobs" tv show, he was asking for things he could use for the show.
Neil

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced front hoses and calipers on a 1996 F53 and it was no worse than a car....just heavier. The old version had slides for the calipers that was different than any auto, but not complex. If you can do car brakes, you can do the F53. Just plan ahead on how to support parts if you're not going to disconnect the brake line.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Explorer
Explorer
Prices and heavier!!!!!!!!!
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.