cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First time with an inverter

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Our Roadtrek has an inverter for the TV & DVD player. There is a switch to turn the inverter on and off, and the TV & DVD don't work unless the switch is on. So, even if we're on shore power we have to turn on the inverter to watch a movie. Problem is we forget to turn it off when we go to bed and it runs all night... The owner's manual says to be sure to turn it off when not using.

Is there a way to switch to shore power when we're hooked up or maybe get a lighted switch for the inverter so we are reminded that it is on?

How does the average inverter user handle this?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
15 REPLIES 15

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is switched off because I camp long enough where 12 amp hours a day makes for a cumulative negative total.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've got a better grasp on how folks deal with them and what we can do in our situation. ๐Ÿ™‚

href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pasusan wrote:
Ours is from 2004 (probably 2003) and there's a fan that runs continually while it's on..
Yes, cheap inverters have continually running fans.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
This average user usually leaves it on 24/7. Probably harder on them to be turned on and off frequently.
Ours is from 2004 (probably 2003) and there's a fan that runs continually while it's on. The manual does say to turn it off when not in use so that's what we want to do.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
pasusan wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
Leave the TV and DVD on and just use the inverter switch to turn them on and off.

Our inverter runs other things too so we have to actually unplug the TV since it is still on in standby drawing power when it is "off"
Thanks for that - we'll try using the inverter switch to turn things off. If we can't seem to do it we'll end up replacing the switch with one that is lighted while on.

You can use a night light that goes in a 120v receptacle as a reminder. I use my three-light tester for that instead. If no receptacle free with TV and DVD plugged in, you can use a power bar to get more receptacles.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Most inverters (if they are of any quality) draw very little idle amps. I leave mine on, all the time I'm camping.

X2 - Mine is on from the moment I set up camp until I leave.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

MrWizard
Turn off when you store the RV, leave it on when you are camping
It drains very little, less than one light bulb
If the TV is off

And since your on shore power it makes about absolutely no effect on your batteries
Because on shore power they are being charged
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a 15 amp transfer switch for my general circuit which my entertainment devices are on. My entertainment devices are also plugged into a small UPS so when it switches from generator/shore to inverter my satellite or DVD do not have to reboot. I also have another 15 amp transfer switch for my GFCI circuit. These small transfer switches are from Xantrex and are installed right behind the breaker panel.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Leave the TV and DVD on and just use the inverter switch to turn them on and off.

Our inverter runs other things too so we have to actually unplug the TV since it is still on in standby drawing power when it is "off"
Thanks for that - we'll try using the inverter switch to turn things off. If we can't seem to do it we'll end up replacing the switch with one that is lighted while on.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This average user usually leaves it on 24/7. Probably harder on them to be turned on and off frequently.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most inverters (if they are of any quality) draw very little idle amps. I leave mine on, all the time I'm camping.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:

Is there a way to switch to shore power when we're hooked up or maybe get a lighted switch for the inverter so we are reminded that it is on?

Sure.

Plug the TV into a different outlet; one that is not fed by the inverter.

OR plug a small night light into the same outlet off the inverter.

It really isn't much of a problem as the inverter should not draw much power when there is no load.

I solved this problem by getting a 12 V TV instead of messing with an inverter.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"