cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

flex tape

sccoast99
Explorer
Explorer
I have a persistent leak in rubber roof in one corner of 17 year old FW. Had anyone used Flex Tape on a rubber roof? Is there any reason not to? My plan is to cover an area of 8x4 feet - lot cheaper than a whole new roof.
2003 Sunnybrook 30RKFS
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel, Allison Transmission
12 REPLIES 12

Explorer
Explorer
Acetone it clean. Everyone will say NO NO NO. It will not hurt the rubber roof but it will clean it to where anything will stick. Be careful not to get it on anything else.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
sccoast99 wrote:
I have a persistent leak in rubber roof in one corner of 17 year old FW. Had anyone used Flex Tape on a rubber roof? Is there any reason not to? My plan is to cover an area of 8x4 feet - lot cheaper than a whole new roof.

Flex Tape - CRUD
Eternabond - Good!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heng's RV rubber roof seal. 8x4 seems a bit much for tape.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
sccoast99 wrote:

What is the overall condition of the rubber membrane?
While many believe the Edurabond tape is a do all fix all, one needs to be extremely careful when applying to prevent wrinkles that can lead to water passages, in the sticky surface.
I have had better performance with self leveling Diecore calking, it flows to seal irregular surfaces.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried to use Flex Seal on a rubber pool last summer. Didn't work, wouldn't stick to the rubber pool material. Watched all kinds of youtube videos of people showing it working, didn't work for me.

Walaby wrote:
I agree - use Eternabond.

I too have not had any luck with the flex products. At all. Especially for a longer lasting solution.

Eterna in Eternabond is short for eternity. This stuff won't come off.

Mike

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

sccoast99
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all -vote is for EternalBond - I do have friends that like the FlexSeal but their use was for small tears. My main concern was adhesion to rubber. Again, thanks.
2003 Sunnybrook 30RKFS
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel, Allison Transmission

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get Eternal Bond in wide strips to cover your area then apply Dicor liquid rubber roof over that. That is what I did and again no leaks but of course my tears were small and short and my TT was flat roof.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree - use Eternabond.

I too have not had any luck with the flex products. At all. Especially for a longer lasting solution.

Eterna in Eternabond is short for eternity. This stuff won't come off.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, have used Eternabond in the past with very good results.

I, personally, would rather use the Eternabond on a rubber roof. I have never had much luck with any of the Flex Seal products.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
No home grade tape is intended for long term use, especially if exposed to the elements.

Eternabond is designed for roofs and has a long record on RVs.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not Flex tape but I have successfully used white Eternal Bond tape to cover minor tears on my rubber roof and had no leaks and the tape lasted for many years until I sold the trailer. Also used the same tape to cover a foot long narrow gash from road debris on the very low front left side of trailer just above floor frame. Again the tape prevented water from entering the TT and tape blended in well with white side of TT. I love Eternal Bond. Easy to use and work with and sturdy long lasting.