cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Floating neutral

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that my Honda 2000i has a floating neutral and my Progressive Ind. PT30C sees that as a fault. I've been able to get around that by using a neutral/ground bond plug.
My question(without going to storage to try it) is if I parallel two 2000i's together will I need a neutral/ground bond plug for each generator to keep from getting the fault code?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand
4 REPLIES 4

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Saved me a trip to storage to check it out. I'll go with my single plug.

I see there is a 3rd ground wire.Do you have to use a screwdriver to connect it?

I replaced the Phillips head screws with thumb screws so no screw driver needed.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
I have paralleled honda 2000's with my Progressive ems many times. I have one "bonding plug" that i put in one of the generators, and all is fine. however I have one std generator and one with the 30A RV plug. the interconnect cord has a ground wire between both generators so that completes the ground for both generators and it doesn't make any difference which one has the bonding plug.

You're right. I made the mistake of looking at the schematics and thought the cable only used the 2 pins. Looking at a Google images of the cable, I see there is a 3rd ground wire. Do you have to use a screwdriver to connect it?

So one bond on either is fine if the ground is connected.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I have paralleled honda 2000's with my Progressive ems many times. I have one "bonding plug" that i put in one of the generators, and all is fine. however I have one std generator and one with the 30A RV plug. the interconnect cord has a ground wire between both generators so that completes the ground for both generators and it doesn't make any difference which one has the bonding plug.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
One will be fine as long as it's on the one the cord is plugged into. There's no ground connection from the RV plug to the paralleled generator. There's only a ground connection to the one it's plugged into.

EDIT: Bad info from me. If the parallel cable ground is connected, the bond plug can be on either. Thanks ktmrfs.